BOWDEN PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1022132
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
BOWDEN PARK, BOWDEN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWDEN PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:13:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOWDEN PARK, BOWDEN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lacock
National Grid Reference:
ST 93731 68235

Details

LACOCK BOWDEN HILL ST 96 NW (north side) 3/9 Bowden Park 20.12.60 GV I

Country House, 1796 by James Wyatt for Barnard Dickinson, extended c1850 for Capt. J.N. Gladstone, the C19 extensions reduced and remodelled c1955 by K. Peacock. Ashlar neo-classical mansion with low-pitched slate roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storeys, 5-window front, 3 in full-height semi-circular bow fronted by massive detached Ionic columns. Continuous entablature and low parapet. Centre bow is raised on 5 stone steps, 3 ground floor French windows in architraves, 3 first floor 12-pane sashes in architraves with sill band. Wings each side are exceptionally well detailed with broad corner piers and main walling slightly recessed. Moulded plinth, moulded ground floor sill course, and plain first floor sill band, broken forward at outer piers. Ground floor 6- 18-6 pane tripartite sash in segmental-headed sunk frame and first floor finely carved foliage panel. Side elevations have similar mouldings continued around, but frieze of entablature is omitted. Five-window ranges of sashes in architraves. Cornices to long ground floor sashes. C19 matching extension to right of south side has 2-storey front and centre bow. Three-window range of sashes, tripartite to centre. Projecting end section includes an original ground floor with blank arch, part of an orangery, with C19 upper floor with blank sunk panel and incised sundial. North L-plan rear wing appears largely c1950 in matching style with door in ornate corniced doorcase, possibly resited. Outstanding interiors by Wyatt with complete original plasterwork, marble fireplaces and mahogany doors. Bowden Park was a late C17 house built for G. Johnson. Estate was sold 1751 to E. Dickinson of Monks Park, Corsham, the house rebuilt for his son (d 1814) and passed to the Dickinson Harmer family before being sold in 1849 to Captain Gladstone (1807-63), brother of W. E. Gladstone. (Conoisseur, April 1961; New Vitruvius Britannicus (1819) Plate 1; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 120)

Listing NGR: ST9373168235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315442
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 120
'The Connoisseur' in April, (1961)
'New Vitruvius Britannicus' in New Vitruvius Britannicus, (1819)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04599/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].