Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022262.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:18:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 99091 93630


ST 99 SE OAKSEY THE STREET (south side)

3/134 Church of All Saints



Anglican Parish Church. Probable C12 origin, C13 (chancel and south arcade), C14 (north porch), mid C15, 1633 (south chapel arcade) and late C19 restoration. Squared and coursed rubble with dressed stone to north porch, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, ashlar dressings, copings and battlements; Welsh slate roof to nave, stone slate roof to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and porch, north porch. Nave has C15 three- light fenestration under flat heads with hoodmoulds; similar windows to south aisle but with a C13 lancet to left of porch and a 2-light C13 window to right. Nave clerestory of 3-light C15 windows under pointed heads. Moulded cornices and embattled parapets to nave and aisle. Chancel has single C13 lancet fenestration to side walls and a 3-light C14 style C19 east window with face stops. Tower of 3 stages: first and second C13, bell- stage C15. Clasping west buttresses up to first stage string course and embattled parapet with gargoyles below. West face has round-arched doorway with plank door and lancet above to first stage, clock to second and on all other faces except east; 2- cusped-light bell openings with slate louvres to all faces. Gabled south porch with round-arched doorway, plank door and sundial below gable apex. Early C14 north porch with cusped and sub-cusped ogee-headed doorway, 2-leaf studded plank outer doors, inner pointed-arched doorway with 2-leaf plank door and Virgin and Child statue in niche above; benches either side. To left of porch on nave wall is a Sheila-na-Gig carving. Interior: 4-bay south arcade with circular abaci and double- chamfered arches; segmental-arched tower doorway with deep revealed pointed-arched light above. C19 Early English style chancel arch with rood stair to right. One-bay C17 arcade in- chancel giving onto south chapel. Flat and coved plaster vaults throughout, that to nave with fine face corbels form former timber roof. Fittings: C13 font at north door: circular pillar and bowl. Fragments of early C17 wall paintings on nave walls; north wall has 2 tablets to William Goddard (1795) and William Butt (1777). South aisle south wall has superb series of early C15 murals depicting St Christopher, Christ of the Trades and an obscured section. C15 roodscreen and fine C19 choir pews possibly ,with C15 carving. C15 stained glass to nave north-east window, late C19 glass to chancel east window. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9908693629


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14217/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].