COLE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022270
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
COLE PARK, GRANGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLE PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 19:27:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLE PARK, GRANGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Paul Malmesbury Without
National Grid Reference:
ST9404985271

Details

ST 98 NW 5/148

ST PAUL MALMESBURY WITHOUT GRANGE LANE (east side) Cole Park

12.12.51

GV II* Former medieval monastic deer-park, royal Tudor stud-farm and latterly country seat of the Audley, Harvey and Lovell families, now country house. Moated site of monastic lodge; earliest extant work of the mid C16 (Robert Bolton resident in 1555), 1625 refenestration during Sir George Marshall's ownership, c1700 alterations including the insertion of a new staircase for John Harvey, substantial additions in 1775-6 (dated on south-east gabled wing) for John and Sarah Lovell, repairs in 1796 for Peter Lovell and additions and thorough internal refurbishment in 1981 (dated above oriel on east front) by William Bertram. Tudor and Georgian brickwork with stone dressings, ashlar to north front of C18 block, ashlar C18 stacks and brick Tudor stacks, Cornish slates to C18 block, stone slates to remaining ranges. Irregular T-shaped plan with long north-south Tudor range and C18 block set at right-angles to the west. North front with recessed 2-storey, 4-bay Tudor range to left and 2-storey, 5-bay C18 block to right. Windows to C16 range are early C17 stone cross-mullions, those to C18 block are 12-pane sashes set in moulded architraves with flat projecting cornices to the ground floor. First and second floor string courses to C16 range with blocking course to parapet; central engaged Doric porch with metope frieze to C18 block: part-glazed door. First floor reeded string course, bracketted cornice and parapet with blind balustraded sections either side of central incised panel; 3 hipped dormers. West front of brick and stone dressings with 2-storey canted bays to each end. South front with gabled end of C18 block to left, Tudor range to right and 2 gabled C18 wings to south-east end. Single, 2-light and cross-mullion fenestration to C16 range with tall gabled stair turret to the left and 3 tall paired stacks set on the diagonal and with lateral flues to the right. Interior. Oak circular newel stair to south turret, c1700 grand staircase with ramped handrail, turned and graded balusters and massive oak treads and bolection moulded fireplace to ground floor entrance hall. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1906; Country Life, 23 April 1964; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9404985271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315771
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].