FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1022297

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 22:51:18.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Grittleton

National Grid Reference: ST 87116 78814

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRITTLETON SEVINGTON ST 87 NE

7/34 Former School and School House

II*

School and school-teacher's house, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton, incorporating important C14 stonework from Leigh Delamere Church (q.v.), then being rebuilt. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs and coped gables. West front gable carries the exceptional C14 bellcote of Leigh Delamere Church, ashlar, square-plan set diagonally with massive corbels out to west and east, pointed openings and row of five shafts at angles, with carved capitals. Shafts to north and south extend further down and have shaft-rings. Octagonal stone spire with finial and raised circular plinths above angles of bell-stage. Gable below has wave-moulded pointed open arch, former chancel arch, and lancet panel over. Heavy buttresses each side. Within porch, doorway to School House to north, C19 depressed pointed and C14 moulded pointed centre door to schoolroom with fine C15 small canopied niche with original carved Virgin and Child. C19 depressed pointed doorway to south. South wall has Perpendicular 4-light flat-headed window with cusped lights and hoodmould, possibly also reused. Schoolroom within is outstanding example of a very small village school of the mid C19 with original furnishing, edge-grain wood-block floor and fireplace. The east wall incorporates the C15 reredos from Leigh Delamere. Three taller canopied niches, the canopies cut back, and 6 smaller niches between, these with paired finials over each, shields between finials and fleuron frieze above, between taller niches. On the outside east wall is the blocked east window of the church, of 3 stepped lights with cusped heads. To north, School House has 2- gable, 2-storey front with stack in valley, diagonal buttresses and two 2-light windows each floor. One 2-light with cusped-head lights on west side. The school opened April 1849, closed 1913, and for the whole period had the same teacher. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 467)

Listing NGR: ST8711678814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315845

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 467

End of official listing