CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022403
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:01:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sutton Benger
National Grid Reference:
ST 94720 78722

Details

SUTTON BENGER HIGH STREET ST 9478 (north side)

12/272 Church of All Saints

20.12.60

GV II*

Anglican parish church, C12 origins, C14 and C15, heavily restored 1851 by J.H. Hakewill. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch and chancel. C15 west tower has pointed west door, renewed 3-light west window, canopied niche over, diagonal buttresses, moulded dripcourses, flat-headed 2-light bell openings with pierced stone panels, panelled embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and centre bell-spirelet, openwork with crockets. Nave has ashlar 3-window C15 north wall with buttresses, moulded plinth and large Perpendicular flat-headed 3-light windows, possibly originally a north aisle. Small circular east window. South aisle has remarkable C14 Decorated detail. Sill course and massive ball flower eaves cornice carried around west end as hoodmould over 3- light west window with reticulated tracery. Three bay south side with stepped buttresses, moulded sill course and dripcourse, mouldings carried around buttresses and projecting ashlar south porch, dripcourse raised as hoodmould over 2-light pointed window each side of porch. Porch has moulded pointed arch with ogee headed niche over, three flat-headed cusped 2-light side windows with buttresses between, moulded sill course and eaves cornice. Ball flower cornice is not continued to right of porch. Right 2- light window has cusped lights and octofoil head. Exceptional pointed east window with reticulated tracery all ball flower ornamented and cusped. Blank bottom panel of middle light is ornamented with a miniature scheme of the window between buttress shafts. Very large pig gargoyle to right, between nave and aisle roofs. 1851 chancel with ball flower eaves cornice, south side lancet, buttress, door and 2-light window, east end 3-light with flamboyant tracery and north side gabled vestry and lancet. Interior: porch has transverse stone arches on wall shafts. Stone slab roof. Moulded pointed doorway with C19 door. Aisle has double-purlin roof with collar trusses, possibly original, nave has broad 1851 four-bay windbraced roof. Moulded tower arch, 1851 five-bay arcade of circular piers and 2-step pointed arches, the west arch springing from green-man carved corbel, of remarkable size and quality, possibly C19 but said to be original. Aisle has circular scalloped Norman font and fine canopied niche with buttress shafts in middle light of east window. Mutilated niche in wall to right. C19 chancel arch, scissor-truss chancel roof and encaustic-tiled sanctuary with c1851 stalls. Stained glass: deep coloured 1851 east window, pictorial style, one chancel south window of 1862. Nave north windows with, from east, patterned quarries of c1860, good C14 style glass of c1862 and good deep coloured window of 1864 signed Charles Gibbs. Nave east roundel has glass of c1860. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 502-3)

Listing NGR: ST9472078722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316100
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 502-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00288/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Michelle Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].