CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022442
Date first listed:
25-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022442.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 04:47:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bremhill
National Grid Reference:
ST 94664 74288

Details

BREMHILL TYTHERTON LUCAS ST 97 SW 7/74 Church of St Nicholas GV II* Anglican parish church, C13 rebuilt 1802 and mid C19, rubble stone original masonry, squared rubble stone to later work, stone slate roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel, north aisle. Paired west gables of square rubble stone with plinth. Nave has small bellcote and 3-light window with Tudor-arched heads to lights, possibly C16, aisle has larger bellcote and 2-light Y-traceried window of C13 type with hoodmould, possibly original. Aisle north wall is also of squared rubble but moulded trefoil-cusped doorway seems original, as also Y-traceried 2-light to left. East wall of aisle has original masonry and 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Gable has crocketed saddlestone. Nave south wall is rebuilt with plinth and two 2-light flat-headed C16 style windows. East end saddlestone and finial to gable. Chancel has original masonry to south, three C19 lancets, one over blocked low door, rebuilt east wall with basket-arched window and hood, possibly C15 with C19 tracery. North wall has old masonry and three C19 lancets. Interior: plastered nave and aisle roofs with large coves each side, thin 3-bay arcade of round chamfered arches on slim octagonal piers with sparse still-leaf to caps, C13, heavily restored. C19 chancel arch, pointed on heavy chamfered piers. Tri-lobe opening in wall to left. Chancel has plain C19 roof. Fittings: fine c1200 tub-shaped font with raised arcading, band of gables over and fluting below. In north aisle good wall monument to Abjohn Stokes, died 1725 and plaque to T. Crook, died 1821, recording that he had church rebuilt in 1802. Aisle east window has glass of c1915 by Mayer of Munich. Nave has west window of c1893 and south wall plaque to L. Crook died 1822, with urn. Chancel has north wall plaque to H. Barret died 1627 and east wall plaque to A. Jacob died 1653. two lancets have stained glass of 1869. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 541)

Listing NGR: ST9466474288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316198
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 541

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05998/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Bellamy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].