CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022456
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:02:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cherhill
National Grid Reference:
SU 03844 70286

Details

CHERHILL THE STREET SU 07 SW (north side) 9/107 Church of St James 20.12.60 GV II* Anglican parish church, C12 or C13 origins, mostly C15, restored 1863 by S.B. Gabriel of Bristol. Rubble stone and ashlar with stone slate roofs and coped gables. C15 west tower, earlier nave and chancel, C15 south aisle and south porch. Plain 3-stage ashlar tower with dripcourses, pointed 2-light bell-openings, embattled parapet and small angle pinnacles. Mutilated west window with single centre mullion inserted. South aisle is ashlar, gabled with cross finials, diagonal buttresses, 2-light 4-centred end windows and two flat-headed 3-light south windows, each side of porch. Porch has 1863 rebuilt front wall and roof. Moulded pointed inner door. Nave north side is rubble stone with late C17 or early C18 long mullioned windows. From right, a 2-light in moulded architrave, a small blocked round-arched doorway, partly C12, then 2-light and 3-light recessed mullion windows, the latter with hoodmould. Chancel has rubble east wall with large Perpendicular 5-light pointed east window, plain roughcast south wall and 1863 north vestry. A dip in roofline between nave and chancel. Interior: 3-bay C15 south arcade, 4-centred arches on octagonal piers. Plastered nave roof with three tie-beams, south aisle roof seemingly of re-used timbers. Large nave west gallery of 1840, on two iron columns with Gothic panelled front, said to be C15 bench ends. 1863 stone pulpit and low stone screen with ornate iron gates. 1863 ornate 2-bay chancel roof, pine trusses on stone angel corbels. East window has curious shafting, possibly C14 and carved rosettes in hoodmould, C14 or C15, the stonework possibly re-used. 1931 stained glass. Vestry screen said to be a copy of destroyed chancel screen. Fittings: octagonal stone font, possibly C15 retooled, rare c1700 brass chandelier, removed from Calne church, 1863 stalls and benches, 1931 oak reredos. Cherhill was a chapel of Calne until C19. First reference is to money left for repairs in 1267. (J.H. Blackford, A history of the Manor and Village of Cherhill, 1941; 121-68; Wiltshire Record Office Dl/ 61/ 14/ 9 1862 restoration plans; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire 1975; 165)

Listing NGR: SU0384470286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316231
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blackford, J H, The Manor and Village of Cherhill, (1941), 121-168
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 165

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05233/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].