This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MOUNT HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MOUNT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1022515

Location

THE MOUNT HOUSE, TOP STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Great Somerford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT SOMERFORD TOP STREET ST 98 SE 3/210 The Mount House 12.12.51 II* House, C16 refronted in early C19, rubble stone with roughcast front, stone slate roofs. Two storeys and attic. Three window formal front with ashlar ridge stack and end stacks. Raised angle piers to centre bay and outer angles, timber eaves cornice and centre pediment. First floor 12-pane sash each side and round- headed centre window. Ground floor French window each side with margin glazing bars and centre double half-glazed doors in wrought- iron tent porch. Rubble stone east wall and plinth of rear wall, roughcast above with one-window range of casement pairs. In angle to rear wing flat-roofed stair tower, roughcast with north cross window and open ground floor with framed plank door within. Rear wing has ridge stack, one hipped dormer and leaded casements, casement pair each floor to left, then casement each floor, then 2- storey gabled porch with small pair of sashes over flat-headed entry. Ashlar base. Timber-frame wall of main house exposed within porch. Plank door. Casement to right of porch and end wall lean-to with large red brick stack and slate roof. Interior: framing apparently of a single build with bar-stopped beams and one compartmental ceiling in rear wing. Late C17 or early C18 stair with original folding door at foot and sliding shutters to stair-light and turned balusters at landing. One upper room in rear wing has early C18 panelling and bolection- moulded fireplace. The Mount House was the manor house of Somerford Maltravers, held in middle ages by Maltravers family, said to have been rebuilt shortly before sale in 1575 to John Yewe or Yeo, clothier. Held by Jason family 1609-98, bought 1698 by John Smith of Wanborough and held by Smith family and descendants until 1940. Refronting was probably for Dr William Smith, died 1833, who inherited in 1798. (P. Hobbs, Somerford Magna, 1982)

Listing NGR: ST9639683038

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hobbs, P, Somerford Magna, (1982)

National Grid Reference: ST 96397 83035

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 05:15:55.

End of official listing