Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022571

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1997

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 28-33 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 28-33, KINGS ROAD


Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 28-33 AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 13:21:52.


Statutory Address: NUMBERS 28-33 AND ATTACHED WALLS, 28-33, KINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 84897 64143


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL8464SE KING'S ROAD 639-1/6/461 (South side) Nos.28-33 (Consecutive) and attached walls


Part of the former barracks of the West Suffolk Militia Regiment, now all converted to houses or flats late C20. 1857/8. By RM Phipson, in partnership with G Morgan. In dark red brick with blue headers and lighter red brick dressings. Fully hipped slate roofs with wide eaves soffits. Elizabethan style. PLAN: in 2 sections, probably single-depth to the left and double-depth to the right. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 8- and 11-window ranges. Nos 28 and 29 each have 2 paired casement windows to the 1st storey in deep moulded brick reveals. 2 canted bays with slate roofs to the ground storey have similar paired windows. Stone sill bands run below all the windows. The entrance doors are flanked by single-light windows, all in deep recesses. The higher central section, containing Nos 30 to 33, is the surviving building of a pair which included the armoury, guard room and orderly room. It has a high ground storey with wide plain pilasters at the angles and an upper storey above a brick dentil course. A brick dentil course also below the moulded sprockets of the eaves soffit. Central tripartite windows on each storey have shallow pointed arches to the surrounds. 2 similar paired windows to the upper storey. 2 matching doors with high pointed surrounds and rectangular fanlights to the ground storey. To the left of this block a lower section has paired casements to each storey in the same style. Various high sawtooth chimney-stacks, each with a row of tall terracotta pots. INTERIOR: not inspected. Low red brick boundary walls along the frontage have stone coping and higher dividing pillars with conical stone caps. HISTORY: the 1853 Militia Act required each county to provide NCO accommodation and a secure store for arms. These houses may be part of the former. An unusual design, which forms part of a group with the adjoining Nos 37-39 (qv). (Harrod's Directory of Suffolk 1864: IPSWICH: 1864-: 71; Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 158).

Listing NGR: TL8489764143


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466941

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Brown, , Kindred, , Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, (1991), 158
'Harrods Directory' in Suffolk, (1864), 71

End of official listing