This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MORETON HALL SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MORETON HALL SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1022597

Location

MORETON HALL SCHOOL, MOUNT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466967

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL86SE MOUNT ROAD 639-1/13/477 Moreton Hall School 12/07/72

GV II*

House, now school. 1773. By Robert Adam for Professor John Symonds, a Cambridge don. White brick and slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. According to Symonds' diary, the foundation stone was laid on April 12 1773 (a year earlier than Adam's work on the Playhouse in Cornhill). A mid C19 wing extends on the east side. The house was first called St. Edmund's Hill, later The Mount, and now Moreton Hall School. There are 2 chimney piece designs for St. Edmund's Hill entitled "for John Symonds 1776" in the Adam collection at the Soane Museum. (Vol. XXIII Nos. 73-75). The Adam block is built as a cube, with a parapet and a wood cornice. Each of the 4 fronts has a wood dentilled pediment. 3 window range on each of the exposed fronts, double-hung sashes with glazing bars on the 1st and 2nd storeys and casements on the ground storey (except on the north front which has double-hung sashes with glazing bars). The pediment on the north front is supported by wood pilasters extending through the 1st and 2nd storeys with ornamented capitals and frieze. An ornamented wood band runs between the storeys. The central window on the 1st storey has a wood architrave and a cornice on console brackets. The ground storey has a large projecting central porch with stone Ionic corner columns, frieze and cornice, surmounted by a wood balustrade. A 6-panel door with side lights is framed by pilasters and a frieze and has a large segmental fanlight with ornamental fan glazing. The porch is flanked by 3-light windows with stone pilasters, frieze and cornice and a pediment over the central light. The west front has a large segmental brick bay with 3 window range running through 2 storeys and surmounted by a wood balustrade with a frieze and pediment above. The south front has an ornamented wood frieze below the pediment and a wood band between the 1st and 2nd storeys. A stone band runs at 1st storey sill level. The 1st storey windows have blind boxes and the central window has a wood architrave and cornice on enriched console brackets. The ground storey has a central doorway with moulded wood architrave and a pediment on enriched console brackets. The door opens on to a raised terrace and is flanked by fine Venetian windows with wood Ionic columns, pilasters and



cornice. The mid C19 east wing is 2-storeys with a parapet and raised brick bands between the storeys. 5 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars (except ground storey on the south front which has 4 casements). The north front has a stone Venetian window at the west end. The roof to the Adam block is tiled with a central chimney-stack and stacks above the apex of each pediment. INTERIOR: has 2 Adam rooms on the ground storey with Adam ceilings, doors, ornamental pelmets and furnishings. 1 of the rooms has a double columned ante room at each end with a central bay. Other rooms have good Adam features. A C19 extension to the house contains a stair and rooms with heavy woodwork in Jacobean style. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 153).



Listing NGR: TL8693564497

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 153

National Grid Reference: TL 86935 64497

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 04:11:01.

End of official listing