This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

9, 10 AND 11, NORTHGATE STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 9, 10 AND 11, NORTHGATE STREET

List entry Number: 1022624

Location

9, 10 AND 11, NORTHGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466994

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SE NORTHGATE STREET 639-1/8/486 (West side) 07/08/52 Nos.9, 10 AND 11

GV I

House, now divided into 3. C14 and C15, with C17 and C18 alterations and extensions; divided into 2 and refronted in 1823. Part timber-framed; part flint-walled; red brick to C18 changes; fronted in white brick. Slate roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; cellars to part. The long street frontage is treated as a single unit. A central gable with rusticated brick quoins projects over a shallow tetrastyle Doric portico on a stone stylobate; the 2 flanking ranges have wide modillion eaves soffits. 7 windows, arranged 3:1:3. The 2 sides each have 12-pane sashes in plain reveals with flat gauged arches; the central gable has a large canted 3-light oriel bay with a 12-pane sash window and 2 narrower 8-pane sashes. Three 4-panel entrance doors within the portico have raised fielded panels: the 2 outer doors have rectangular fanlights with arched Gothic tracery; the middle door (to No.10) has 2 leaves and the fanlight, also in Gothic style, is ogee-headed. The C17 rear range of No.9 has twin rendered gables: original bargeboards have dentils and guilloche ornament. An C18 half-glazed rear door with heavy glazing bars has an eared architrave to the doorcase and a flat cornice hood on brackets. The long rear range of No.10 has exposed flint walling along part of the north side and a section of red brick with blue headers; C18 red brick replacement on the south side. No.11 has a long tiled rear range down Pump Lane: part single-storey, part raised to 2 storeys with brick on the ground storey and render above. One Edwardian mullion-and-transom 2-light upper window on the main rear wall has cusped heads to the lights. INTERIOR: complex, overlapping between Nos 9 and 10 on both storeys. The C14 front range of No.9 is the oldest part of the building: 3 storied bays survive, initially associated with an open hall, replaced in the later C14 when the rear range of No.10 was built. Little framing is exposed within No.9, but part of the smoke-blackened upper framing of the south end wall of its former hall is exposed in the room above the entrance porch, which is now part of No.10. Between the entrance hall of No.9 and the adjoining plainly panelled room is a thick flint and stone wall and at the rear of the



entrance hall is a stone porch which formerly led into the cross-entry of the later open hall which now forms part of No.10. 3 doorways in the porch have shallow pointed arches; over it is a timber ceiling with very heavy plain joists and the small room above has square Jacobean panelling topped by a fine ornate C17 plaster frieze. A C17 dog-leg stair in the rear range has pierced splat balusters. Crown-post roof to the C14 front range. A corridor from the front leads to the later C14 3-bay rear hall, now the principal part of No.10 and still open to tie-beam level. The south wall was realigned in the C18 and rebuilt in brick. At the west end an inserted C16 fireplace has a 4-centred arch and a variety of carved decoration, partly Jacobean, partly reproduction in early C16 style. The walls have various sections of square Jacobean panelling. At the east end, an open Jacobean screen surmounted by a gallery marks the position of the original cross-entry which linked with the stone porch, now part of No.9. Against the north wall are 2 flights of late C17 stairs, extensively restored, with pierced splat balusters, ornate lantern newels and moulded handrails, one flight leading to the gallery, the other to the rest of No.10 which is on a higher level. The tie-beams and cornice of the hall are moulded, with deep hollows, filleted rolls and brattishing. Crown-post roof, with housings in the centre for a louvre to draw off the smoke of the open hearth. To the west of the hall is a parlour, now with complete Jacobean panelling, some reproduction, and below it a 2-bay cellar with heavy unchamfered joists and a chamfered main beam with broach stops. Further west, 2 bays were extensively remodelled and raised in the C18. The ground storey ceilings are very high with tall sash windows on the south; a panelled dado and wood modillion cornice to the walls; fireplace with eared architrave. In the attics, and on the upper storey of the raised section, the remains of crown-post roofs are visible and also the timber-framed gable-end walls of the open hall, with multiple bracing. The whole rear range beyond the open hall has been widened along the north side and contains corridors and an Edwardian stair in Jacobean style. The upper framing along the original north wall is now exposed inside the building. The front range of No.11, formerly The Swan Inn, is apparently a rebuilding of the early C19 with no visible earlier features: moulded plaster cornices and 6-panel doors; a winder stair with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. A long C18 rear range down Pump Lane, part originally single-storey, has main beams exposed.



(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 153; Aitkens P: 9,10 & 11 Northgate St.-The Development of a Medieval Town House: 1989-; Letter to the Rev. TG Cullum at Aix, 1823: 1823-: SRO(B) E2/21/2).



Listing NGR: TL8555464472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 153
Other
P Aitkens, 9, 10 and 11 Northgate Street The Development of a Medieval Town House, (1989)

National Grid Reference: TL 85554 64472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 12:45:54.

End of official listing