This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1022640



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467011

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD8432NW CHURCH STREET 906-1/16/30 (West side) 10/11/51 Church of St Peter


Parish church. C15 west tower (raised 1802), nave and north aisle rebuilt c1532, south aisle rebuilt in 1789-91 and north aisle again rebuilt in 1802 (both with galleries); nave raised 1854-6; sanctuary enlarged 1872-3; south porch added 1889; south-east vestry added and galleries removed 1903; major structural repairs in progress at time of survey 1991. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Perpendicular style. EXTERIOR: the west tower, of 4 unequal stages with a massive moulded plinth, angle-buttresses to half-height, a drip-band over the 3rd stage, a set-back 4th stage with a corbel table, plain cornice and embattled parapet with intermediate and corner pinnacles, and an elaborate weather vane, has: a 2-centred arched west doorway with hollow-moulded surround, hood-mould with figured stops (worn) and double doors with scrolled strap hinges; a restored 3-light west window with cusped lights, Perpendicular tracery and a hood-mould; a similar but smaller 2-light window to the 3rd stage; clock faces in the top stage with small 2-centred arched one-light belfry windows above; and at the south-east corner a narrow rectangular vice (or stair-turret) which has small chamfered loop-lights. The narrow 5-bay nave (of the same width as the tower) has a clerestory of square-headed 4-light Tudor-style mullioned windows and an embattled parapet with large crocketed corner pinnacles. Both aisles extend eastwards alongside the chancel but are of unequal width and length, the narrower north aisle having a westward extension embracing the tower, but they are in matching style with 2-storeyed chamfered Tudor arches containing 4-light mullioned windows on both floors, those at 1st floor arched, and all with uncusped round-headed lights and hollow spandrels; the south aisle has pilaster-buttresses, a gabled Gothic porch to the 2nd bay and over this a large ogee-headed stone plaque with the date "1799[?]" inscribed above it, and between the 4th and 5th bays a large wall sundial inscribed "This Dial was constructed by / Mr Whyman of Gawthorpe / in the year 1791"; the buttressed north aisle has in the 2nd bay an ogee-headed doorway with plain surround, and its westward extension has a 4-light window at 1st floor only. The chancel has a large 2-centred arched 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery.

INTERIOR: inaccessible because of repair work in progress. (Bennett W: The History of Burnley: Burnley: 1946-1951).

Listing NGR: SD8429632957

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bennett, W, The History of Burnley, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 84296 32957


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2018 at 07:28:22.

End of official listing