Church of St. Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1022655
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter, Wood Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter, Wood Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clyffe Pypard
National Grid Reference:
SU 07460 76978

Details

SU 07 NE 9/23

CLYFFE PYPARD WOOD STREET (north side) Church of St. Peter

17.1.55

II Parish church: tall C15 nave of five bays, narrow aisles and chancel of 1860 by Butterfield. Ashlar limestone to tower and south wall of nave, remainder coursed limestone rubble. Graded stone slates, but replaced with concrete slates over chancel. South porch in middle of five bays, also ashlar with three mass dials. Nave has uniform trefoiled three-light windows, three lancets to east. Three-stage tower with west angle buttresses, stair tower, and short crocketed pinnacles rising from crenellated parapet.

Interior: nave roof C15 with knee braced collars moulded tie beams and brattished cornice plate. The eastern tie beam has base of a rood. The roof with its fine carved collar purlin replaced an earlier steeper pitched roof, evidenced by tower creasing. Aisle roofs also C15, moulded principal rafters and purlins forming plastered panels. East bay of nave aisles enclosed with parclose screens, probably part C15 but restored and painted as is chancel screen. One parclose contains organ, 1873 by Ingram, the other a squint to chancel.

Wall paintings; fragmentary painting over chancel arch, but whole of nave has been painted in later C19 now undergoing removal (July 1984). Pulpit: hexagonal and highly carved dated 1629, gift of John Kniston with original wrought iron book stand. Chancel fittings all by Butterfield, 1873-74, oak communion rail. Font: 1860, by Rev F Goddard copying font from Over, Cambs, replacing 16 sided bowl now placed at west end of aisle.

Monuments: north aisle: Wall tomb, a much damaged recumbent knight c1380 under cinquefoiled crocketed canopy and ogee panelling below. Painted wood aedicule panel to Elizabeth Goddard, died c1585, dated 1605, kneeling life size figures of knight and wife displaced now in apertures of rood loft. C13 incised cross tomb slab mounted over north door. Excellent monument to Thomas Spackman, local carpenter, by John Devall (Deval) Jnr, Royal master mason, of London c1786, Deval's best monumental work. Romantic standing figure of Spackman flanked by recording children, bag of carpenter's tools cast down before him. Wall tablet to Elizabeth Millington c1783, by Brewer of Box, urn above, putti below: tablets to Richard Broome c1803, Edmund Hitchcock c1827, Christopher Broome c1830, all by Franklin of Porton and Stroud: Robert Millington c1831 and Ann Beavan c1821. Floor slab to William Phillips c1622 and Thomas Norris c1673. C17 Parish Chest.

Glass: Much fragmentary yellow stained medieval glass, head of queen, crowns, suns etc in heads of nave windows. Also one Swiss panel, Conrad Neyrr, Pfarrer of Kilchberg, and four Flemish panels.

Baroque carved Goddard arms panel over north door. 16m east of Chancel headstone 1963 of blue slate to Sir Nikolaus Pevsner and wife. He also donated churchyard gates. c1380 brass of Quintin family or Cobham family.

Listing NGR: SU0745576983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316711
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 129
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 182-183

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09077/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard John Maconnachie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].