FOGLEIGH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022795

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: FOGLEIGH HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOGLEIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 09:46:19.

Location

Statutory Address: FOGLEIGH HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Box

National Grid Reference: ST 83005 69356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 86 NW BOX LONDON ROAD

2/178 Fogleigh House

II

House, 1881 by James Hicks of Redruth for C.J. Pictor, quarry owner. Small ashlar block with ashlar dressings and fishscale banded slate roofs with red tile cresting. Two and a half storeys, ornately carved Gothic with asymmetrical elevations. Main fronts to south with entrance tower rising to hipped pavilion roof with iron cresting, and to west with large curved oriel at end of south front paired with a canted bay, oriel with iron-crested curved pavilion roof, bay with hipped roof. Moulded band, first floor sill-course and eaves. South front entrance tower has Gothic arched porch flanked by buttresses carrying beasts with Pictor shield and monogram. Over pointed arch is carved group representing 'Industry' set in base of a large canted oriel bay, 1- 3-1-light mullion and transom window with shield panels below. Above, a long mullion-and-transom window breaking eaves to gable dated 1881. Pavilion roof over with band of lancet panels at eaves. Range to right has large square bay with hipped roof, 4- light mullion-and-transom windows to front with stylised leaf carving to top-light heads. Coped east gable and end stack. To left of tower is side elevation of west oriel bay with wallface stack and single light with transom flanking on each floor. Oriel bay on west front is framed by buttressed walling with corbelling under eaves course.- Ground floor paired mullion-and-transom windows with column shafts each side of centre buttress below large curved 5-light oriel with column shafts, transoms, cusped top- lights and leaf-decorated heads. Corbel course at eaves level and moulded cornice under curved pavilion roof. To left, recessed centre with door and window under large Gothic 3-light stair window with cusped heads and ringed shafts. Canted bay to left, mullion and transom lights with square pilaster shafts to lower window and column shafts to upper window, corbelling, moulded cornice and hipped roof. North side wall stack and east end wall stack. Range beyond on north front, 2-storeys, 2-window range with 2-light upper windows and 3-light lower windows, side wall and- east end stacks. Former service range beyond, to east, is now separate property, Crossways House, and is altered and not included in listing. Interior: encaustic tiled floor in porch. Timber moulded staircase with stained glass Pictor arms and initials in stair light. (The Architect. 9.7.1881) -

Listing NGR: ST8300569356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317042

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect' in 9 July, (1881)

End of official listing