This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1022922

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Colerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 317351

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLERNE MARKET PLACE ST 8271 ( east side ) 8/259 Church of St. John the Baptist 20.12.50 GV I

Anglican parish church, c1200, c13, much rebuilt c1450 and heavily restored c1854 and in 1877 by Wilson, Willcox and Wilson of Bath. Ashlar and rubble stone with stone tile and slate roofs with coped gables. C15 West tower, c1200 nave with later C13 clerestorey, C13 chancel much altered, later C13 north east chapel and C15 aisles and porch, probably incorporating earlier work. Fine ashlar tall west tower, 3 stages with set-back buttresses and north east stair turret. Heavy moulded plinth and string courses. Lower stage with large 4-light window over small arched door to west front and similar 4-light blank panels to sides. Second stage with 5 long cusped head panels with statue niche to each face and top stage with paired cusped bell-openings continued as blank panels below transom, pierced stonework to bell-openings. Moulded coved cornice and trefoil pierced parapet with corner pinnacles and stone spirelet to stair tower. One-handed clock on west face. South aisle has low roof with parapet, 2 flat-headed 2-light windows flanking much restored porch with sloping buttresses and statue niche, to right a restored Perpendicular 4-light arched window with hood. Clerestorey rebuilt in C19 with moulded eaves and 3 windows. Chancel with slate roof and rebuilt south wall with moulded eaves and 2 C19 flat-head Perpendicular style 3-light windows (outlines of lancets were visible' 1855). East C19 decorated style 3-light window. North chapel has slate roof and east end in line with chancel east end. 3-light restored Decorated east window with sexfoil head. corbelled eaves to north side, Cl9 blocked door and restored 2-light window. Attached is 1877 vestry, High Victorian Gothic with large truncated east end stack over octofoil light. North aisle has parapet, carved gargoyles, buttresses and moulded plinth. 3 renewed Perpendicular style north windows, 3-light with pointed heads and large 4-light Perpendicular style west window. Interior: tierceron star vault with octagon bell-rope opening to tower. Screen part of C15 chancel screen. 4 bay nave with heavily restored circular piers and trumpet capitals with square abaci to south side, north side has 2 stiff leaf capitals and octagonal abaci. Pointed arcade with one step soffits to earlier south side and double chamfer to later north side. West arches are C15. Cl9 collar-rafter roof with pierced spandrels to straight braces. South aisle has C19 south door and C19 roof. At east end effigy of R. Walmsley (d.1893) signed H.H. Armstead. North aisle has fine carved corbel heads and C19 roof. Inset fragment of C9 cross and c1200 figure of saint. 2nd window has glass of 1881, 3rd fragments of medieval glass. Chancel heavily restored, east window c1854 with faded glass by Bell of Bristol, stone reredos 1905. On south wall C13 style sedilia and piscina, C19, but piscina part original, and C14 style ogee arched tomb-recess. On north wall elaborate C15 style triple sedilia, originally on south wall next to piscina, but moved and almost entirely remade 1877. C19 roof. 2 heavily restored arches to north east chapel, similar to nave north arcade. North east chapel has Cl9 roof and original carved heads to east window. Tomb recess of c1300 in north wall. Numerous C17 to C19 wall plaques colledted in north east chapel. In north aisle plaque to E. Teyly dated 1627 with Ionic,pilasters. [E.W. Godwin: Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine 3 1857 358-366.

Listing NGR: ST8209471148

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 3, (1857), 358-366

National Grid Reference: ST 82093 71136

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 08:02:31.

End of official listing