This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1023214

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Norton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318052

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON CHURCH LANE ST 88 SE (south side) 5/55 Church of All Saints 28.10.59 GV II

Anglican Parish Church. Probable C13 origin, rebuilt in the C15 and restored in 1854, probably by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton House (date on bellcote weathervane). Coursed rubble with some render, particularly on chancel south and east walls, ashlar to buttresses, window surrounds, copings and bellcote, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north porch, west bellcote. Nave south side has 2 cusped-light Perpendicular windows under flat heads with hoodmoulds and a blocked C13 doorway with pointed head and hoodmould. North side has similar C15 window and one 1854 window of 2 round-headed lights in original C15 opening. Similar C19 window to chancel north side; south side has a single light window. East window of 3 lights with C19 plate tracery under pointed head. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs to nave and chancel. Gabled north porch with round-headed entrance, 4-centred arch to doorway with plank door. Bellcote originally built as a turret on Grittleton House, dismantled and resited on church in 1854: Romanesque style with 2-arched openings to each side and pyramidal roof with weathervane. Interior. Open rafter roofs to nave and chancel. C19 pointed arch to chancel. Fittings. Nave has early C13 font: cylindrical pillar with trumpet capital frieze below circular bowl. Paternoster board on north wall, Creed and Exodus boards on south wall. Jacobean pulpit. Neo-classical marble wall monument of 1830 to William Walker on west wall. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; for Thomson's design for Grittleton with the Romanesque turrets see the Builder, 1853.)

Listing NGR: ST8853084256

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'The Builder' in 29 October, (1853)

National Grid Reference: ST 88530 84256

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 08:47:38.

End of official listing