This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1023270



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishopstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318190

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 2383, 27/3

BISHOPSTONE, LITTLE HINTON, Church Row, Church of St Swithun

(Formerly listed as: Church of St Swithin)




Small Norman church recast in Perpendicular style. Three-bay aisled nave with south porch. Small west tower. Two-bay chancel. Rubble with stone slate roof, nave roof lead. Late C15 3-light square-headed foiled windows to clerestory and aisles, labels with shaped stops. Two stage unbuttressed west tower with pyramidal tiled roof and no west door; Somerset tracery. Gabled south porch circa 1500, possibly earlier, with moulded square headed surround and a 4-centred arch, with traceried spandrels. South doorway C12 with billet hoodmould. Small north door (C19, facing Vicarage). Priest's door to chancel.

INTERIOR: Two-bay round arched arcade with circa 1170s scallop caps and responds to south (squat earlier looking piers). North arcade C13. Interesting Norman font: tub on stem, upper band of triangular-headed arcading, then a band of saltire crosses, next a band of pre-Urnes-type interlace and a scroll pattern with an animal; band of cable work; lower band of compass-scratched intersecting circles. Roof: moulded ties with braces from corbels and moulded king posts, panelled. Victorian box pews. 1637 pulpit and reading desk. Chancel: pointed circa 1200 chancel arch with stiff leaf-type crocket nook shafts and chamfered arches. Two-light and quatrefoil chancel windows have rere-arches (but not in sanctuary). Three-light reticulated (probably C19 restoration) east window. Memorial to Elizabeth Kete (died 1630), bracketed columns flanking tablet and supporting entablature. Small graveyard contains a number of C18 and C19 headstones and tomb chests. There is a good mid-C18 example in the north-west angle of the church with scroll brackets in rebates, panels with carved drapery and oval panels with angels in the corners.

Listing NGR: SU2319583289

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 23198 83292


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2018 at 11:58:39.

End of official listing