HANNINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1023333
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
HANNINGTON HALL, QUEEN'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HANNINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:39:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
HANNINGTON HALL, QUEEN'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hannington
National Grid Reference:
SU 17812 93172

Details

1. 5410 HANNINGTON QUEEN'S ROAD (north side) HanningtorHall SU 19 SE 5/212 26.1.55

II* GV

---------------------------------------



The entry shall be amended to read:-

SU 19 SE HANNINGTON QUEEN'S ROAD (north side) 5/212 Hannington Hall 26.1.55 GV II*

House. 1653 by Raufe and William Freke, sons of Sir Thomas Freke who bought estate in 1605, possibly incorporating earlier parsonage. Staircase with glass dome above, front (S) porch and bow window French Drawing Room and Orangery added during remodelling of house for Col. Henry Freke in 1836. Service wing to east side of house added 1863 (truncated 1963). Two and a half storeys, rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and balustraded parapet stone tile roofs. East front probably fairly original, though lacks entrance if it ever had one. Five bays, centre a 2 storey angled bay; flanking gables with weathered coping-gables and adjacent bays possibly added 1697 (see rainwater heads). Long inscription below parapet of centre 5 bays and 2 panels of devices celebrating the brotherly love of William and Raufe Freke. Large chimneys with diagonal shafts. outer 2 bays on each side have mullion windows with drips and, in gables, relieving arches (a later c17 local characteristic). Inner 3 bays have large mullion and transom windows. Three windows. Two bay 1863 matching extension to right, remains of a considerable service wing, removed recently. South side, much altered circa 1836, has central porch break with moulded Tudor archway and 3 light window over; flanking angled bays with shields between floors. Orangery breaks forward to left: 3x6 bays, panelled pilasters and balustered parapet inscribed "Henricus Freke c.B.1836". Adjacent to orangery at rear of house is the French Drawing Room; interior in Louis XV style, competently done and with 6 medallion paintings by Captain Willes-Johnson R.N. (who inherited 1848). rest of interior: largely remodelled by Colonel Henry-Freke in the 1830's eg 4 centred ornamental panelled hall-vault with pendants and ornamental vaults in other rooms; top-lit staircase. Stair hall contains a late C16/early C17 fireplace with carved overmantel from Bristol, An Adam-style fireplace of plain design in south-east room (from Wroughton House, qv) dining-room with heavy Jacobean ornamentation designed by Sir Harold Brakespeare in 1924.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 5410 HANNINGTON QUEEN'S ROAD (north side) Hannington Hall SU 19 SE 5/212 26.1.55

II* GV

2. Built 1653 by Sir Thomas Freke, possibly incorporating an earlier Parsonage, largely altered and extended 1836 and 1863. Two and a half storeys, rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and balustraded parapet stone tile roofs. East front probably fairly original; though lacks entrance if it had one. Five bays, centre a 2 storey angled bay; flanking gables with weathered coping - gables and adjacent bays possibly added 1697 see rainwater heads). Long inscription below parapet of centre 5 bays and 2 panels of devices celebrating the brotherly love of William and Raufe Freke. Large chimneys with diagonal shafts. Outer 2 bays on each side have mullion windows with drips and, in gables, relieving arches (a later C17 local characteristic). Inner 3 bays have large mullion and transom windows. Three windows. Two bay 1863 matching extension to right, remains of a considerable service wing, removed recently. South side, much altered circa 1836, has central porch break with moulded Tudor archway and 3 light window over; flanking angled bays with shields between floors. Orangery breaks forward to left: 3x6 bays, panelled pilasters and balustered parapet inscribed "Henricus Freke C.B.1836". Adjacent to orangery at rear of house is the French Drawing Room added 1850s or 60s; interior in Louis XV style, competently done and with 6 medallion paintings by Captain Willes-Johnson R.N. (who inherited 1848). Rest of interior: largely remodelled by Colonel Henry Freke in the 1830s, eg 4 centred ornamental panelled hall-vault with pendants and ornamental vaults in other rooms; top-lit staircase. Stair hall contains a late C16/early C17 fireplace with carved overmantel from Bristol. An Adam-style fireplace of plain design in south-east room (from Wroughton House, qv) dining-room with heavy Jacobean ornamentation designed by Sir Harold Brakespeare in 1920s.

Listing NGR: SU1781293172

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318342
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].