CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1023391
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, INGLESHAM, SN6 7RD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:59:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, INGLESHAM, SN6 7RD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Inglesham
National Grid Reference:
SU 20532 98431

Details

SU 29 NW, 3/372,

INGLESHAM, Church of St John the Baptist

26.01.55

GV

I

Very small and attractive country church, particularly important because of its unrestored interior. Saxon core expanded probably in connection with refoundation of 1205 and with later C13 work. Restored but not altered 1888-89 by S.P.A.B. (J.T. Micklethwaite, architect; William Morris helped). Church consists of an aisled nave with south porch and western bellcote, and an aisleless chancel partly flanked on south side by a chapel. Built of rendered rubble with parapet and head spouts. Stone slate roof. Small diagonal buttresses. Traces of sanctuary belfry on ridge. Mid-late C13 double bellcote with pointed trefoiled lights and circle - not unlike south windows of east end and triple east window. Perpendicular square headed 2 light window to south aisle (south-east window a C17 insertion). North door also C15 though earlier with rounded trefoil head. Deep south porch, possibly C16, with foiled niche over entrance. The south door with roll mould and strap imposts is probably Saxon or late C11 (reset).

The INTERIOR is specially interesting with numerous C14/C15 parclose screens, high box pews (mostly cut down in C17) and C13 smart foiled rere-arches to north door and east window. Tall arcades with trumpet and stiff leaf caps (this goes with date of refounding though south arcade in part older). Very important late Saxon Madonna and child relief now set into wall of south chapel but formerly outside (see scratch dial on it; further reading Kendrick). Remains of wall painting especially to chancel arch (probably early-mid C14) and fragments of stained glass. C15 font. In chancel: 3-bay sedilia, one aumbry, a foiled piscina and two arched recesses and part of reredos in sanctuary. Also C17 communion rails and table (remodelled). Medieval north door with long strap hinges. Pulpit and tester circa 1630. Tournai marble slab with circa 1300 knight in chancel, lacks brass. Single-framed chancel roof with tie beams possibly C13. Later mediaeval queen-post and wind-brace nave roof. The churchyard is well stocked with head stones, several with carved cherubs of C17 and C18. A number of chest-tombs mostly to south and east.

Listing NGR: SU2052498429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318490
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08382/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Jennie Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].