CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023505

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, THE LAWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 16:30:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, THE LAWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 16059 83651

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWINDON THE LAWN SU 18 SE 4/116 Church of the Holy Rood 2.10.51 II

Chapel, formerly Anglican parish church. C13 and 1736. Rubble limestone, ashlar piers and dressings. Stone slate roof. Chancel blocked at west end and former north porch reset as west door. Three bays of ruined nave arcade, reset at lower level. The north wall of the chapel has 3 blocked arches of former arcade of 2 chamfered orders on a circular column with nailhead ornament on the capital. Chancel arch also of 2 orders on bold C13-C14 corbels of a king and queen. The nave piers are hexagonal with keel on intrados carried round the arches without intervening capitals. Blocked north chancel door. South and east windows of C18, round headed, and a blocked south door with bracketed cornice and inscription recording the restoration by John Vilett, knight and lay rector, in 1736. Numerous C18-early C19 tombstone form paving in former nave. The nave, north and south aisles and the west tower were demolished in 1852. Interior: open timber roof of 4 bays, the trusses re- modlled in C18. Walls plastered and colourwashed. There is a fine collection of memorials refixed to the walls in the C19, and some unfixed slabs. Significant are those of Elenor Huchens, coloured and gilded chalk, 1610; Rev. John Neate, died 1719, with broken pediment and flanking pilasters; Mrs Millicent Neate, died 1764, marble urns on pyramid over a sarcophagus; Mary Wayt, died 1724, aedicule with broken pediment, putto below; William Horne, died 1730, Latin inscription within aedicule with broken pediment. There are also a C19 font and pulpit. The grave- slabs laid in the former nave, now externally, are also of interest, including John Alexander, died 1697 aged 117 years. (Bird D. The Story of Holy Rood, 1975.)

Listing NGR: SU1605983651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318777

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bird, D, The Story of Holy Rood, (1975)

End of official listing