This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1023802

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HOMINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Coombe Bissett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 12 NW COOMBE BISSETT HOMINGTON ROAD (south side)

4/53 Church of St. Michael

23/3/60

GV I

Anglican parish church. C12 south aisle, C13 chancel, C14 tower, C15 nave and north transept, restoration of 1845 by T. H. Wyatt. Limestone ashlar tower, flint rubble to remainder, Welsh slate and lead roofs with coped verges and staddlestones. Consists of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north transept, south tower and south porch. Gabled flint porch of mid C19 with pointed door with hood mould and carved terminals, and cusped lancet to west wall. South side of aisle has 2-light cusped C16 window, to left, with hood mould, 3-stage aisle has battlemented parapet to lead roof. Nave clerestory has two 2-light C16 windows. C14/tower, rebuilt in ashlar in C15, has heavy diagonal buttressess and 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and carved terminals to first stage, string course marks second stage and bell stage, which has 2-light Perpendicular windows with louvres and no central mulllion. Two scratch dials and one sundial on south side. East side has 2- light windows to second and bell stages, 3-sided stair turret with chamfered Tudor-arched door and arrow loop to each stage. South side chancel has central narrow pointed door with hood mould and terminals, either side is 2-light C16 window with hood mould and terminals. East end has 3-light pointed Perpendicular window with hood mould and terminals, flint and brick banding to wall. North side has two lancets. Gabled north transept has 3-light square- headed Perpendicular window to east, north window is 3-light pointed Perpendicular with hood mould. North aisle has chamfered Tudor-arched door to left and 3-light Perpendicular window to right, battlemented parapet. Nave clerestory has two 2-light C16 windows. West window is 3-light Perpendicular with moulded string course carried over. Interior: South door has Romanesque double chamfered round arch with C19 ornament and unfinished terminals, in east wall of porch is blocked shouldered door case. 3-bay nave has C15 king post roof with carved ceiling bosses and braced tie-beam on carved head corbels, cusped struts like lights. South arcade has 3 double- chamfered round arches on one square chamfered pier and one cylindrical pier with scalloped capital with angle leaves, respond to west has scalloped capital. North arcade has slender hollow- chamfered piers with attached shafts, pointed arches are ogee and hollow-moulded. North transept has same roof type as nave. Organ occupies east bay of south aisle, blocked pointed door to former rood loft on 1st floor level of stair turret. Chancel has scissor roof with collar, and double-chamfered chancel arch, double piscina on south wall. Fittings: C13 font in south aisle has cylindrical base with four shafts. Pews and pulpit of 1845. East window has good stained glass of 1901. Classical wall tablets in north transept to Elizabeth Fleetwood died 1813, and one to David Feltham, died 1862. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire 1975).

Listing NGR: SU1080326318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 10804 26320

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023802 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 10:10:47.

End of official listing