CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1023844
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ODSTOCK VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 05:11:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ODSTOCK VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Odstock
National Grid Reference:
SU 15154 26102

Details

SU 12 NE ODSTOCK ODSTOCK VILLAGE (south side)

5/150 Church of St. Mary

23/3/60

II* Anglican parish church. C12, C13 and C14, with remodelling of 1870 by J. Fowler of Louth. Rendered flint nave with limestone and flint chequers to tower and east end, tiled roof with coped verges and cross finials. Consists of 3-bay nave, chancel, west tower and north porch. C19 porch is timber-framed on flint and stone plinth, the inner doorway has a double-chamfered pointed archway. North side of nave has one tall chamfered lancet and a pair of tall lancets with a buttress between. North side chancel has one chamfered square-headed window with a round-arched window at a lower height. East end has angle buttresses and three stepped lancets. South side chancel has two tall lancets with a buttress between. South side of nave has one pair of lancets, a buttress and a single lancet, with a double-chamfered pointed doorway to the left. 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses; west window is a pointed arch with two cusped lancets and hood mould, above is single pointed window and bell stage has 2-light cusped C16 style window to south and west sides and a single C16 style window to north. North-east side of tower has hexagonal stair turret with single lancet on north face. Interior: plastered walls and widely splayed windows. C14 double- chamfered pointed arch at base of tower with octagonal responds and capitals, north side of tower has Tudor-arched doorway and evidence of a removed floor with stone corbels and a Tudor-arched doorway. Roofs of nave and chancel are braced collar-rafter roofs with no bay divisions. Chancel arch is double-chamfered pointed with cylindrical half-shafts and capitals of C13, polychrome tiled floor in chancel. Fittings include a finely carved C16 pulpit with inscription to Elizabeth I, 1580; cylindrical font is probably C13, at west end nave. Pews and choir stalls are Victorian. Memorials include a C14 cusped arch in the south wall of nave, with low tomb with figure incised on lid. At west end of nave is C16 monument with Ionic columns supporting a frieze and cornice with finials and armourial shields in relief below: the inscriptions refer to the Webb family during the C18, eg Maria Webb died 1765. East window has unsigned late C19 stained glass. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU1515426102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319531
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05293/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Geraghty. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].