This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1023875

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH HATCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Downton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWNTON CHURCH HATCH SU 1821 (north end) 6/52 Church of St. Laurence 23/3/60

GV I

Anglican parish church. Mid-Cll nave, C13 transepts, C14 chancel and remodelling, C17 restoration, C18 alterations, restorations of 1812 by D. A. Alexander, 1860 by T. H. Wyatt. Brick and flint with limestone dressings, tiled roof. Plan: cruciform church with south porch. Gabled porch with 1648 on datestone over door, cyma-moulded Tudor-arched doorway. Nave has 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window to left of porch and three 4-light chamfered mullioned windows to right, all with hoodmoulds, to right is C14 pointed door with hollow-moulded doorway and canopy, C18 parapet with brick panels and saddleback coping. C13 south transept has angle buttresses, lancet to west, three stepped lancets to south and one roll-moulded lancet and unusual 2-light Perpendicular window to east side, 1743 cartouche. South and north sides of chancel have three 2-light geometric windows, good gargoyles. East end has large C19 5-light geometric window with hoodmould, diagonal buttresses. North side also has pointed doorway with continuous moulding and octagonal stair turret in angle with north transept; pointed doorway and loops. North transept has two 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and a lancet and pointed chamfered doorcase to west. North aisle under catslide roof has three pairs of cusped lights and one 3-light C19 window. West end has large 4- light geometric window and Tudor-arched moulded doorcase with heraldic terminals, north aisle has 2-light cusped window, south aisle has 2-light Perpendicular window. 2-stage crossing tower in flint and limestone bands has 2-light round-arched windows with hoodmoulds, offset diagonal butresses, late C18 battlemented parapet and pinnacles retained when tower lowered 1860. Roof has coped verges and ridge-cresting. Interior: Inner south doorway has continuous roll-moulded pointed arch and restored ledged door. 5-bay nave has three late Cll western bays with cylindrical columns, square abaci and scalloped capitals to pointed arches, two east bays have taller pointed arches, 6-bay arch-braced collar truss roof. Fine C13 double- chamfered arches with fillet mouldings and stiff-leaf capitals to grouped-shaft responds of crossing. Lady Chapel in south transept has Medieval braced tie-beam roof, north transept has similar roof with hollow-chamfered timbers, trefoiled piscina on east wall, and ogee arch to north. Chancel has C19 6-bay tie-beam roof on foliated corbels, Tudor-arched squint through to Lady Chapel, restored C13 sedilia with four arches and shuttered window to south side. Fittings: C13 Purbeck marble font at west end of south aisle, wall painting on west wall possibly depicting The Flight into Egypt. Fine C18 hexagonal pulpit sounding board is now table at west end. Victorian pews and pulpit. Fine group of mid-C18 marble monuments with obelisks in chancel to Feversham family, by Peter and Thomas Scheemakers, good tablets in Lady Chapel such as a fine baroque marble to Charles Duncombe died 1711. Some C14 glass in north aisle, C19 glass includes fine east window by E. Frampton of London, 1896 and 1901. (N.Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire 1975)

Listing NGR: SU1810721616

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 18114 21616

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2018 at 10:55:13.

End of official listing