THE COURTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023905

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: THE COURTHOUSE, SOUTH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COURTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:52:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COURTHOUSE, SOUTH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Downton

National Grid Reference: SU 17484 21419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWNTON SOUTH LANE SU 1721 (east side) 5/118 The Courthouse 23/3/60 (formerly listed as Borough House)

II*

Detached house. Dated 1673 on stone corbels on front and rear walls and interior. English bond brick, tiled roof, gable-end brick stacks. L-plan. 2-storey, 2-window front. Planked door with moulded architrave and cornice, to left of centre, to right are two 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows and to left is one 2-light, all with hoodmoulds. 3-brick plat band to first floor; three 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows. Wooden modillioned eaves cornice. Two 2-light casements to raking dormers. Coped verges to roof with kneelers. Stepped brick stacks. To right is single-storey projecting extension; C18, with half-hipped roof. Left return has late C17 lean-to extension with pair of leaded windows, first floor has two leaded oculi. Right return has one 2-light mullioned window to ground floor, 3-brick plat band to first floor and attic level; oculus to first floor and attic. Rear has three 2-light mullioned windows to ground and first floors, 3-brick plat band is carried over moulded stone oculus lighting stairs. Modillioned eaves cornice. Two 2-light casements to raking dormers. Lean-to to right has 2-light mullioned window to ground floor and pair of leaded lights to first floor. Interior retains good C17 features; large stone Tudor-arched fireplace in large room to right of door, open fireplace in smaller room has chamfered timber lintel with bar and runout stops. Central stairs are boxed-in by fine oak plank and muntin partitions which rise to attic, vase-turned balusters to landing. Planked door with strap hinges to attic. 5-bay roof has two tiers of butt purlins. Stone corbels inside the west and east walls of large room correspond with those on exterior walls; 1673/ Burgh Manor. Founded by Sir Joseph Ashe as a grammar school for twelve boys, in 1673, endowed with ?100 and the profits from two sheep fairs in Downton. (VCH, Wiltshire Vol XI 1980, page 51; Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU1748421419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319677

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1980), 51

End of official listing