Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:53:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 22706 42488


CHOLDERTON A338 SU 24 SW (east side) 2/22 Church of St Nicholas 18.2.58 GV II*

Anglican parish church. 1841-50 by T.H. Wyatt and Brandon for Rev. Thomas Mozley. Flint, knapped to lower section of walls, and Tisbury limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Nave and chancel in one vessel, tall, of 4 bays with entrance at west end and polygonal stair tower at north-west corner, now capped with single bell in an open timbered bellcote replacing original f14che. West door moulded, with painted inscription, and carved terminals to hoodmould. Tall 2-light windows, copied from Old Basing, between buttresses, all with deep casement moulded reveals and mask terminals to hoods. Three-light east and west windows. Moulded stone eaves with prominent fleurons. Gable ends raised with terminal crosses and gabled kneelers. West door has applied carving in form of ogee crocketed niches copied from the Tower Church, Ipswich. Interior: C15 hammerbeam roof of 10 bays with double moulded purlins and arch braces from hammerbeams to collars, set on arched brackets on corbels, obtained by Rev. Mozley from an Ipswich warehouse. Stone panelled screen divides off western 2 bays, carved with angles holding shields of various benefactors including patron, Oriel College, Oxford. East wall has stencilled decoration and commandments painted either side of east window. Minton tiles throughout. Font: 1850, of Caen stone, octagonal, and in entrance lobby the earlier C12 font, a bowl with trumpet supports. Pews, oak, with poppyhead bench-ends. Casson's Positive Organ. Monuments: west end, a marble wall tablet, corniced panel with urn against triangular field, scroll supports and apron on putto, to Anthony Cracherode, sole examiner in the Chancery of the Island of Barbados, died 1752. Tablet, white marble on grey, small pediment to pilastered panel, to John Tanner, died 1833, and family. Nave: limestone tablet with carved surround to Henry Charles Stephens, squire and ink manufacturer, died 1918. Stone tablet to Lieut. John King, died 1918. Brass to Cutbart Rives, died 1574, with poem. Furniture: C17 table with later top. Short Kashgai runner. Stained glass of mid C19 throughout. The Rev. Mozley, who clearly took the dominent hand in the design, was married to niece of Cardinal Newman, and both he and his wife wrote numerous works of commentary and fiction. The Noyes family, which provided incumbents from 1601 to 1651 also provided early settlers to the American colonies. In the churchyard there is a medieval sarcophagus. (Barrow, E.P. Parish Notes, 1889)

Listing NGR: SU2270942484


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Barrow, EP , Cholderton Parish Notes, 1889,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01479/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].