This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1023959

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MADDINGTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319864

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET SU 04 SE (off south side) 3/256 Church of St. Mary 18/2/58 GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13, C14 and C15 with Cl7 rebuilding of nave, tower, chancel and south transept, restorations of 1843 and of 1846 by T. H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Limestone and flint cheqeurs, flint rubble tower, rebuilt in ashlar, tiled and slated roof. Consists of nave, south aisle, south transept, chancel, west tower and north porch. Gabled north porch of 1603 has diagonal buttresses and coped verges, Tudor-arched doorway with cyma and hollow mouldings. Nave has deep moulded plinth and to right a 3-light cusped square-headed window with hoodmould, to left is 4-light square-headed window and 2-light cusped square-headed window, both with hoodmoulds, parapet with saddleback coping. Chancel has two lancets to north side and same parapet as nave, east end has three C19 lancets, south side has chamfered pointed priest's doorway with planked door, either side is lancet. East wall of mid-Cl7 south transept has one 2-light cusped square-headed window with hoodmould, south side has 2-light C19 pointed window with hoodmould. South aisle has blocked Tudor-arched doorway to right and one 3-light and one 2-light cusped C16-style windows, with hoodmoulds, west end of aisle has single lancet. 3-stage tower retains C13 walling on north side, rest rebuilt 1637; 2-light cusped square-headed window to west, string course to bell stage which has 2-light cusped pointed window with stone louvres to north, south and west faces, shallow-pitched roof. Interior: Porch of 1603 has pointed barrel-vaulted roof with plaster ribs and rose bosses, pointed chamfered inner doorway with good planked door with strap hinges. 5-bay nave has pointed barrel-vaulted roof and north wall of 1603 dated by a corbel on north side, curved principals date from 1843 repair. Double- chamfered tower arch, and above a panel with strapwork, and date 1637; tower rebuilt. 5-bay south arcade has pointed double- chamfered arches on octagonal piers, the two western bays are early C14, the rest are C15, nave rebuilt 1846. South transept has pointed roof and reset Cl7 communion rails with alternate splat and turned balusters, as partition. Chancel arch of 1846, chancel roof is 3-bay with collars and cusped wind-braces, restoration of 1699 by Sir Stephen Fox and 1852, possibly by Wyatt. Pointed piscina on south wall has triple roll-moulding. Gothic wooden altar screen, mid-C19. Pews of 1843, font and pulpit of 1846. East window has unsigned glass of 1871. Some fine wall tablets, especially a pedimented marble on north side of nave to Richard Woodroffe, died 1692, and a pedimented painted limestone on south side, to Joseph Gilbert, died 1759, in the chancel a classical marble to John Maton, died 1827 and a Gothic tablet to Leonard Pitt Maton, died 1858. This church is now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU0670843773

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 06708 43773

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 02:01:48.

End of official listing