Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:27:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 06988 44339


SHREWTON HIGH STREET SU 04 SE (east side) 3/238 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 18/2/58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Late C12 to early C13 nave, C16 tower, chancel and restoration of 1855 by T. H. Wyatt. Limestone and flint chequers, limestone ashlar tower, Welsh slate roofs, stone coped verges. Plan: nave and aisles, chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber, west tower, north porch. Gabled north porch of 1855, has pointed door with hoodmould and foliated terminals, side windows are cusped lancets. To right, north aisle has one 2- light Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould and foliated term- inals, diagonal buttress and 2-light Perpendicular-style window to west end of aisle, to left of porch is 3-light Perpendicular-style window, east end of aisle has similar window and good C18 cartouche. Clerestory with three trefoils. North side of chancel has pair of cusped lancets, 3-light east window with C19 flowing tracery with carved head terminals to hoodmould, south side has two cusped lancets, one has its original C13 head. South aisle has 2-light Perpendicular-style window to east. Tudor-arched door and two 2-light and one 3-light Perpendicular-style windows. Clerestory has three trefoils. 3-stage west tower has moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses, C19 Tudor-arched door to west side, above is string course to second stage; one 3-light Perpendicular window, bell stage has pair of 2-light C16 square- headed louvres to north, south and west faces, string course to battlemented parapet, stair turret on north side of tower has two loops. Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter roof. 3-bay nave has C19 arch-braced collar roof on foliated corbels. Double-chamfered pointed arcade of c1200, the eastern bay was added 1855; cylindrical columns with scalloped capitals, some are very convincingly restored by Wyatt, but the west respond of south aisle is original, north aisle has one square pier with square west respond, with zig-zag capitals and carved heads to stops of chamfers. Double chamfered tower arch and chancel arch, the latter reset by Wyatt, has grouped shafts with finely carved stiff-leaf and water-leaf capitals. Chancel has arch-braced scissor roof of 4 bays, with good foliated corbels. Double-chamfered arches to vestry and organ chamber. Reused Cl7 arcaded screen on north side. Trefoiled piscina on south wall. Chancel stained glass includes two signed windows by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake of London of late C19, very fine east window is unsigned. Glass in south aisle by Gibbs in two windows of 1855 and 1856, and by G. E. R. Smith to Edith Wansborough, died 1954. Wall tablets mostly in south aisle, such as a marble to R. Gouldisborough died 1735 and classical tablet to John Wansborough, died 1833. Pews, pulpit and especially good Romanesque-style font by Wyatt. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU0698844339


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07979/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].