CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024028 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 22:33:39.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 25917 43569
TREDINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP2543 (South side)
12/236 Church of St. Gregory
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Gregory)
Church. Anglo-Danish origins, with late C12, C14 and C15 work and C17/C18 alterations. Restored C19. Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed limestone with stone slate roofs. Chancel with north vestry, nave with north and south aisles. North porch and west tower. C14 chancel of 3 bays has moulded plinth, and offset buttresses with small gables. Moulded string course. Chancel and C15 vestry have coped gables, and an ashlar polygonal stack at joint. Restored C14 five-light east window with geometrical tracery, and hollow-chamfered surround with hood mould and labels. Small, rectangular double-chamfered light above. To south a plank priest's door with part-restored, moulded, surround and hood mould. To north and south, two and three C14 windows of 2 lights with single quatrefoils and hollow chamfered surrounds. To south a further C14 blocked window of single cusped light. To north of vestry a C15 doorway with tracery over. Above, to left, a 2-light square-headed window with chamfered surround; hood mould and labels. To east a 3-light, square-headed window. Each light has 3 cusped round heads. Hollow-chamfered surround and hood mould with inverse labels. Simple later square-headed doorway to west. Nave of 3 bays with offset buttresses, moulded plinth, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapets. C15 porch with moulded plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, moulded and coped parapet. Doorway has pointed arch with many-moulded surround, the hollow moulding with fleuron decoration and a winged angel at the apex. To east a 3-light, square-headed window with ovolo-moulded mullions to centre and cusped spandrels to either side of central light. 2-light, cusped, square-headed window to west. Both windows have hood moulds with labels. Above doorway a worn niche with a small, cusped, 2-light window to the parvise above. Porch roof inside has moulded beams with carved wood Tudor rose boss to centre and half-bosses to north and south. Doorway has original plank door within a double-chamfered surround, the inner hollow chamfer of the arch decorated with Tudor roses. Mid C14 aisles, with reset C12 doorway to south with shaft and stiff-leaf capital and lozenge moulded arch. To left of door a 2-light cusped window with single quatrefoil and hollow-moulded surround. To centre, and to left and east of north aisle a 3-light window, the central cusped light rising to apex, with shorter flanking lights with trefoils above. To right of south aisle a 3-light cusped window with geometrical tracery. To west of both aisles a 3-light cusped window with quatrefoils. To right of north aisle a 2-light window with Y-tracery. All windows have hood mould and labels. Above C12 door on south aisle a sundial. Clerestory has 5 three-light, square-headed windows with cusped lights, hood moulds and labels to north and south. C14 tower of 4 stages with offset buttresses rising to top, moulded plinth, stage bands and quatrefoil parapet. Finials to each corner. C15 octagonal spire with 2 moulded string courses. To west of first stage of tower a C14 two-light window with geometrical tracery. Hood mould and labels. Above, to second stage, a single cusped light to each face. Bell stage has 4 two-light cusped windows with stone slate louvres, hood moulds and labels. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Stair turret slits run from first to third stage. Clock to west. Interior: to north and south of chancel a C15 recess. Chamfered vestry doorway to north. Also to north a 2-light cusped window with single quatrefoil, now blocked by vestry. To either side of east window an ogee-headed recess with many moulded surround. East window has shafted surround, with foliage capitals. Chamfered arch and hood mould with labels. String course is ramped over windows, and corresponds to external string course. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 3.5 bay is width of c.1000 church, and remains of the splayed Anglo-Danish windows, and of contemporary double-splayed doorways exist above arcade, the doorways having led onto a west gallery. Nave arcade cut into church mid C12 and consists of round piers with responds to east, with many-scalloped capitals and square abaci. Painted arches. To north-east a wood doorway which would have led onto the rood loft. North arcade has 2, and south arcade has one, carved corbel supporting hood moulds to arcade. In north wall a cusped ogee piscina. Some medieval wall painting remains on west wall. South aisle has C15 chamfered doorway west of main door, with original C15 door with traceried head. C15 recess towards east. Tower arch has single-chamfered jambs with triple-chamfered painted arch. 4 stone steps lead into tower. Chamfered doorway in west wall. Restored C15 roofs with moulded tie beams resting upon grotesque corbels. Aisle roofs also C15, with moulded tie beams, those to south resting on carved wood corbels. C19 chancel roof. C15 octagonal font with flat traceried panels in octagonal base of 2 steps. Lead bowl. Complete set of C15 benches with traceried panels and moulded rails. Some C20 restoration and additions to seat-backs. C15 rood screen on stone wall with tracery carving. C17 pulpit of 2 tiers with canopy and back panel. Late C17 communion rail reset under tower arch. C16 lectern. East window by W Holland of Warwick, 1853. Stone flagged floors, some replaced C20. Slab in chancel to Robert Morse, Rector, who died 1703. Slabs in nave to Darlingo Canning, 1729, Nethanial Canning, Catherine Wing, 1758 and Samuel Ayshcombe, 1692. Further C18 slab. In south aisle floor a brass to Alice, the wife of William Barnes, the date now lost. In west wall of north aisle, reset from chancel floor, 2 brasses. One a C15 effigy of a priest, the other a kneeling figure, died 1482. Tablet in chancel to Mona Parker, died 1715. Another to John and Catherine Barker and their son, dated 1751, 1709 and 1715. Set of six C19 warble tablets in south wall. Arms of Queen Victoria above chancel arch. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.434-435; V.C.H.: Worcestershire, pp.547-549).
Listing NGR: SP2591743570
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 547-49
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 434-5
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.