Church of St Edmund

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1024091
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
16-May-1988
Statutory Address:
Church of St Edmund, Church Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Edmund
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:02:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Edmund, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipston on Stour
National Grid Reference:
SP 25927 40626

Details

SP2540 14/85 SHIPSTON ON STOUR CHURCH STREET (East side) Church of St Edmund

(Formerly listed as parish Church of St. Edmund)

13/10/66

GV II* Church. C15 west tower, the remainder of church rebuilt by G.E Street, 1855, in C14 style. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble with plinth.Offset buttresses, quoins and coped gables. Concrete tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave with north vestry and west tower.

Chancel of one bay. To east a five-light window with central, taller light. Hood mould and label stops. Moulded string course below. To south a single pointed and cusped light. Nave of five bays with stone valley stack to north. To east of north aisle a four-light cusped window. To east of south aisle a three-light window with intersecting tracery. North vestry has two-light cusped window to east with hood mould and label stops, three-light pointed window to north and plank door to west in pointed, chamfered surround. North lean-to porch with painted and chamfered doorway. Within, a plank door with pointed, ovolo-moulded surround. Four north aisle windows of two-lights with Y-tracery. To south a large archway with chamfered, pointed openings with cusping within a south plank door with double chamfered surround and pointed arch with hood mould. Easternmost bay of south aisle has plank door with chamfered surround, and three single pointed and cusped lancets. Four south aisle windows of three traceried lights with central, taller light. West end of south aisle has large four-light window with Decorated style tracery and string course below. West end of north aisle has two-light window with cusped tracery and hood mould.

West tower of three stages with moulded plinth and cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet above. To west a part-renewed three-light window with intersecting, cusped tracery, double chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. To north, west and south of second stage a chamfered square light. Worn string cornice above. To each side of bell stage a C15 window of two cusped lights within chamfered surround and slate louvres. The window to south is renewed.

Interior: chancel has C19 pointed, cusped piscina to north and large sedilia with Tudor arched head and hood mould to south. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch with hood mould. Nave arcade of five pointed, chamfered arches supported on round piers with round moulded bases and capitals. Scissor braced roof to nave. C18, C19 and C20 wall tablets including one with obelisk and bust above a tablet inscribed 'Near this place lieth interred the body of John Hart Esq., considerable Improver and Promoter of Manufacture in this his Native Town, who, in the Year 1739 Bore the Office of High Sherrif of the County of Worcester. He died Sept. 1 A.D. 1747 aged 73. To his memory this monument was erected by his nephew John Hart'. Stone pulpit with C13 style traceried panels and hexagonal font with C14 style traceried panels with fleuron cornice. C19 stained glass in east window, and in east window of south aisle chapel.

Listing NGR: SP2592740626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306448
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10624/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].