Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 13:43:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


BRAILES HIGH STREET SP3139 (North side) Lower Brailes 15/37 Church of St. George 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. George)


Church. C13 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions. Restoration 1879. Regular coursed ironstone, stone slate roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, north and south aisles, north vestry. Chancel: mostly sandstone windows, chancel east window of 5 lights with reticulated tracery. South windows include a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, 2-light traceried window and 4-light Perpendicular window. Doorway with pointed arched head and hood mould. Two 2-light north windows have traceried heads. Nave has parapets with finials to north and south. Corbel table to south has heads. Clerestory of twelve 2-light Decorated windows to both north and south. South aisle: east window of 3 lights with plate tracery, trefoil and cinquefoils. Late C13 windows include a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, four 3-light windows with stepped lancets. 2-light lancet window to west has cinquefoil. North aisle: six 2-light Decorated windows with square heads. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould. Open parapet. Corbel table has row of beasts, and monsters heads. West tower of 3 stages. C15 west doorway has square head with partly renewed stonework. 5-light Perpendicular west window. Double window openings to bell chamfer. Embattled parapet with finials. South porch: C15. Parapet, finials and sundial. South doorway has 3 continuous orders of moulding and hood mould. Renewed plank door. Diagonal buttresses. Coped gables. Sanctus bell-cote has ogee heads and finial. Gargoyles. Interior: chancel has renewed chancel arch in Decorated style and renewed stonework to organ recess. 3-seat Decorated sedilia with stone arms. Decorated piscina. All with ogee heads. Nave has 6-bay arcades to north and south with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. North arcade is later than south, which is probably late C13/early C14. South arcade has piers with differing bases and capitals. Very low pitch roof with corbel heads supporting roof trusses. Easternmost roof beam has traces of C15 painting. Tall Decorated tower arch with 3 orders of continuous chamfers. Late C13/early C14 octagonal font with 8 different tracery patterns. C19 font cover, pine pews, pulpit and stone reredos. Monuments. Wall monument in south aisle to Richard Davies d.1639. Master of Arts, Exeter College, Oxford. Marble entablature supporting still life of books. C15 tomb chest with traceried sides and defaced effigy. C17 and C18 gravestones in chancel floor to Sherley 1633 and Jane wife of Ralph Sherley 1685 - ?6, Jane wife of Barnabas Bishop, Patron of the church 1630; Barnabas Bishop 1635; William Bishop 1687 and Francis Bishop 1712; John Bishop 1627, Dorothy his wife 161?: James Wright 1716. Church of St. George was known locally as the Cathedral of the Feldon. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp.217-18; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, 1949, pp.21-23).

Listing NGR: SP3153039316


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 21-23
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 217-18


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09494/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].