This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARY ARDEN'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARY ARDEN'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY

List entry Number: 1024575

Location

MARY ARDEN'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY, ASTON CANTLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wilmcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305350

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON CANTLOW

539/8/3 ASTON CANTLOW ROAD 19-AUG-03 WILMCOTE (East side) Mary Arden's House and attached dairy (Formerly listed as: ASTON CANTLOW ROAD WILMCOTE Glebe Farmhouse and attached granary)

I Farmhouse and attached dairy. Early C16, altered and refaced in C19; mid-C17 dairy. Farmhouse originally timber-framed with wattle and daub and brick infill, almost completely underbuilt and refaced in C19 brick, save for most of cross-wing and dairy which are of regularly coursed lias rubble with some timber framing surviving to upper level of the former; plain tile roofs.

PLAN: Comprises a 3-bay hall range aligned east-west with a slightly later 2-bay cross-wing projecting to the north at the west end, the hall range originally consisting of a chamber bay, open hall bay and service bay and the cross-wing housing a kitchen open to the roof. A chamber was added over the service bay and a large chimney inserted in part of the former hall in the mid-C17; the stone dairy was added to the north end of the cross-wing at about this time. After this, the house was little altered save for the insertion of an upper floor in the kitchen range until the mid-C19, which is probably also the date of the lean-to dairy attached to the hall range.

EXTERIOR: South side has blind gable of cross-wing to left; main range with late C20 plank door to left and late C20 leaded casements to left and right of centre, latter with segmental head; gabled eaves dormers with leaded casements to left and right of prominent axial ridge stack with corbelled capping; all the casements are 2 light except the lower left which is of 3. Cross-wing has exposed square timber framing to upper floor on west side; 2 late C20 single-light leaded casements and plank door on ground floor and 3 late C20 2-light leaded casements on first floor; exposed queen-post truss to north gable end. North side of main range has 2 gabled eaves dormers, a late C20 leaded casement to centre and plank door to right; lean-to dairy addition to left of centre. Stone dairy attached to north gable end of cross-wing has half-hipped roof and late C20 leaded casements; external stone steps on east side leading to plank door with gable breaking eaves.

INTERIOR: Hall range has beam marking position of former partition to right of south door; late C20 replica of Victorian cast-iron range in fireplace; stone flag floor. C20 stone flag floor in kitchen that has partly reconstructed wash boiler next to fireplace. Plank doors throughout; stone shelves in lean-to dairy. Wide floor boards and exposed wall framing to both ranges. Hall range has exposed clasped-purlin queen-post roof in 3 bays with curved windbraces and braces to tie beams; some smoke blackening and evidence for a smoke louvre; identical roof in 2 bays to cross-wing, also with smoke blackening.

HISTORY: The hall range has been dated through dendrochronology to c.1514 and it is clear that the cross-wing was added very shortly afterwards. Recent research has shown that this is the house referred to in 1587 as previously occupied by Agnes Arden, widow, who would have taken it over after the death of her husband, Robert in 1556. Robert and Agnes Arden were the father and stepmother of Mary Arden and it is therefore at Glebe Farm that she would have lived until she married John Shakespeare and moved to Stratford in 1557.

SOURCES: Nat Alcock, Topography and Land Ownership in Wilmcote (2000) and Bob Meeson, Glebe Farm, Wilmcote, Warwickshire (2000), unpublished reports for the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.



Listing NGR: SP1637658090

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Alcock, N, Topography and Land Ownership in Wilmcote, (2000)
Meeson, B, Glebe Farm, Wilmcote, Warwickshire, (2000)

National Grid Reference: SP 16376 58090

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024575 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:43:08.

End of official listing