CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024600.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:14:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 08345 60561
1/147 Church of St. Peter
Church. Late C15 and early C16; chancel and chapels built for Sir Robert Throckmorton and in construction in 1518. Porch c.1780. Repaired and re-roofed 1829-30. Sandstone ashlar; south aisle mainly rubble. Stair turret of brick with ashlar dressings. Moulded stone plinths and string course. Low pitched lead roofs with parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north and south chapels, west tower and south porch. Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 4-centred arched doors and traceried windows. Tower in 2 stages, with double plinth and angle and diagonal buttresses. West doorway has hollow chamfered jambs and arch under straight head, and original double-leaf oak doors with moulded stiles and rails. 3-light west window, and small rectangular window above. String course. Bell stage has square-headed openings of 2 trefoiled lights and relieving arches. Embattled parapet with C17 or C18 pinnacles. Gothick south porch with ogee arch. South doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and early C19 six-panelled door. Aisles, chapels and chancel have diagonal and side buttresses throughout. Aisles each have two 3-light windows and 3-light west windows. South aisle has trefoiled lights; north aisle has cinqfoiled lights and wider openings. North aisle has north-west door, blocked inside with spandrels carved with a human head and foliage. Nave clerestory of four 3-light windows with square heads and hood moulds and cinqfoiled lights. North and south chapels each have two 3-light windows and small door, and square-headed 4-light east windows, all with uncusped lights. South chapel has ribbed door, north chapel has linenfold panel door, blocked inside, and semi-octagonal stair turret. Chancel has 5-light east window with cinqfoiled lights. Interior: Nave has 4-bay arcade with hollow-chamfered piers and arches. 2-centred tower arch of 1890, Nave and chancel have Perpendicular timber roofs of 1829-30. Chancel arch and chapel arcades of 4 half-shafts, and 2-centred arches with 2 wave mouldings. Chancel and chapels have late C17 paving of alternating black and white diagonally-set flagstones. Chapels and aisles have lean-to roofs. Fittings: C13 (VCH) font, originally square but cut to octagon with 4 incised crosses, on capitals and bases of C15 (Buildings of England) stem, with shafts missing. Much Perpendicular woodwork, some re-used. Chapel screens with tracery. Pulpit of 1891, but made up from traceried and linenfold panels. Stall and priests desks with traceried fronts and linenfold backs. Panelled bench ends in nave and aisles. Bread dole board, south aisle. Dated 1717. Enclosure of small balusters with H-hinges, below stone tablet set in wall. Stained glass: Some early C16 glass survives chancel east window has 3 sibyls c.1530, re-set, with C17 heads. Reset fragments and heraldic tracery. North and south chapel windows with pieces of original glass, included small complete figures of the Apostles, Evangelists etc. Aisles have fragments. Nave west window of 1890, attributed to Powell (Buildings of England). Throckmorton monuments, Nave: Sir Robert d.1518, but occupied by another Sir Robert (d.1791) Tomb chest with grey marble slab and marble sides with rich quatrefoil panels and shields. Chancel, north-east arch: Sir George (d.1552) and Dame Katherine. Grey marble chest tomb with panelled sides and brasses. South east arch. Sir Robert (d.1570). Alabaster and marble chest tomb with pilasters and panels. South; Sir John (d.1580) and wife Large canopied alabaster monument with panelled base, effigies and 6 Corinthian columns. North: Sir Robert (d.1862) and wife. Chest tomb with black marble lid and brass and enamel cross. Dame Elizabeth (1547); brass inscription plate. C17 and C18 monuments and grave slabs of the Throckmorton and other families. St. Peter's is an exceptionally complete Perpendicular church with good original furnishings and monuments. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, pp.82-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.244-5).
Listing NGR: SP0834560561
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 82-84
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 244-245
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing