ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1024958
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1971
Statutory Address:
ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND, BENWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 22:59:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND, BENWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21252 64273

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side)

11/98 Royal Victoria School for the Blind. Benwell Dene 17.12.71

G.V. II

House, now school. 1865 by Alfred Waterhouse for Dr. Thomas Hodgkin. Hammer- dressed snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; graduated dark slate roof with serrated ridge tiles and stone gable copings. Irregular plan. Tudor- Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics; entrance front of 6 bays, with one at left and 2 at right gabled and breaking forward to range round courtyard; 2 bays set back at left, 4 bays extending to right from gabled end of right wing. Extruded 2 storey porch at left of courtyard contains boarded door; loggia, now glazed, in inner right return, has 2 paired openings, central octagonal columns with cushion capitals, and low walls except in right entrance bay which has panelled door with etched glazing under 2-centred arch. Scattered fenestration. 3-light stone-mullioned-and-transomed stair window at right of central section. All other windows sashes with flat stone lintels, alternate-block jambs with shouldered chamfers, and sloping sills. Left projection has rounded ground floor corners corbelled out to first floor continuous string; above this are 3 elliptical-headed niches containing low-relief coats of arms. Central section has 3 high-gabled dormers with bargeboards and clove finials. Many ashlar-coped ridge chimneys with buttresses and square yellow pots. Interior shows geometric- patterned tiled entrance hall and dog-leg stair with pierced balustrade and grip handrail. Stair window glass has coats of arms of Middlesex, Newcastle and Cornwall, initials TH and LAH and date 1865. Gothic cast-iron radiator cover in hall. Historical note: Hodgkin was a notable local historian. He gave the house to the Royal Victoria Home in 1894, and at the same time gave its grounds to the then Urban District of Benwell as a public park. Source: M. Hope Dodds, Northumberland County History, 1930, p.234.

Listing NGR: NZ2125264273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304401
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Northumberland County History' in Northumberland County History, (1930), 234

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03759/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].