CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025007

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, MINA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025007 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:31:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, MINA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 60056 74914

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST6074 MINA ROAD, St Werburgh 901-1/37/1931 (East side) 08/01/59 Church of St Werburgh

GV II*

Church. Parts of tower 1758, the rest 1879 by John Bevan. Snecked limestone ashlar and tile roof. Aisled nave and chancel, W porch and SW tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Moulded plinths and sill drip course. Transomed 7-light E window and a crocketed hood, clasping buttresses with cornices and gargoyles and panelled gablet finials. The N aisle is 5 bays separated by buttresses; in the second bay from the W is a hooded door; parapet with blind traceried arcade. Lower single pitch vestry at the E end, gabled to the north with a 3-centred arched east doorway between small buttresses, rising through the eaves into a gable with a mullioned overlight, and drip course with lion-head gutterspouts. S aisle has a plain parapet, and a Lady Chapel with a crenellated parapet. 5-stage tower divided by drip moulds with a SW octagonal stair turret: S door with a wide 2-centred arch and paired colonnettes with round caps inside a moulded label, with quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels; 3-light first-stage and 2-light second-stage windows; blind traceried 3rd- and 4th-stage belfry windows of 3 panels, louvred to the middle; open crenellated parapet with square corner pinnacles to the buttresses, and an octagonal top to the stair tower with open pyramidal top. The W porch has a shouldered gable with tracery panels below the apex. 4-light W window, gables with clasping buttresses and a pinnacle to the left one with tracery panels. INTERIOR: reredos with a central carved panel of the Last Supper with an openwork parapet, and 2 slate panels on either side; an arch of 2 orders to the S contains the organ loft, and the roof has timber tracery and a cornice with angels holding shields. Chancel arch with 3 attached shafts, and a 6-bay nave arcade on slender columns with attached shafts and foliate capitals, with a waggon roof on shield corbels; the arch-braced truss aisle roofs bear on similar corbels. The base of the tower has fan vaulting. FITTINGS: choir stalls with poppy heads; a large octagonal pulpit with panelled sides, and wrought-iron handrail; timber traceried screens below the tower and round the door. Corner vestry fireplace, a Tudor arch, panels above and a billeted top. MEMORIALS: various late C18 and C19 wall tablets, and a dresser tomb to John Barker, buried in the old Church of St Werburgh in 1607: a panelled base, Corinthian shafts and a plain entablature, with a recumbent figure lying on an elbow with a panel surrounded by scrolls. HISTORICAL NOTE: the medieval St Werburgh's, Corn Street was rebuilt by James Bridges in 1758, in a manner '...by eighteenth century standards notably conservative and cautious' (Gomme). Shown in Winstone, it was demolished in 1877, and Bevan re-used parts of it on the current site. (Bristol As It Was: 1879-1874: Bristol: 1965-: 30; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 427).

Listing NGR: ST6005674914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380002

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 427
Winstone, R, Bristol As It Was 1879-1874, (1965), 30

End of official listing