This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AURIOL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AURIOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1025009

Location

AURIOL HOUSE, 124, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET 859-1/6/252 (East side) 04/03/52 No.124 Auriol House

GV II

House in row, with several occupations, and shop. Dated 1606, but rebuilt and extended c1845. Rendered facade, brick with stone dressings the remainder, tile roof, brick stacks. PLAN: A tall front with twin 'Dutch' gables, with a long extension at the back; access is through an early doorway in the ground floor of No.123 (qv), and a substantial porch, part of the mid C19 extensions, closes the courtyard beyond this throughway. c1845 front in Domestic Tudor style. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and basement, 2-windowed. All the windows are small casements with horizontal bars, with stone ovolo-mould surrounds, mullions and transoms and moulded stopped drip-courses. In the gables a small single light, and at second floor small 2-lights. At first floor there are 2 recessed square panels with raised shields, flanking a canted bow, in 1:3:1-lights with transom, under a frieze with diamond recessed panels and decorative cresting containing the date 1606. Below the moulded cill panelled breastwork links with the plain fascia contained in a raised mould. The ground floor has a central canted doorway below the bay, with 4-centred arch over a pair of C19 glazed doors with arched heads; the returns have lofty side-lights with a transom, and to each side is a tall 2-light display window. All is set to a plinth, and there are simple string courses at first and second floor levels. The high shaped gables have moulded saddle-back copings; the parapets return each side. There is a large C17 brick stack on the left party wall. To the left, under No.123 (qv), is a fine wide early C17 studded plank door in a flat 4-centred moulded head and frame stopped to the plinth. The stone paved throughway and court is closed by a transverse full-width gabled porch in brick with stone dressings, with an arched doorway and sidleights. The main wing is on 3 floors, with a variety of stone-mullioned casement windows, and a one-storey bay window with stone hipped roof. A doorway formerly gave access to the ground floor of the front block. Beyond the porch is an external stack carried on a moulded stone corbel at first floor level. INTERIOR of the rebuilt older section was not accessible, but the previous list refers to 'some panelling'. The ground floor has been opened into one full-depth space, but had 2 cross walls to an entrance lobby from the side door; these are now opened with wide elliptical arches. The front room had a fireplace, now blocked, and retains the show-cases flanking the High Street entrance, part of the 1845 design for the shop front. The rear space retains a continuous cornice and frieze. All this is work of the C19 reconstruction. A winder stair with brick treads and timber nosings, to the right, gives to the basement, which has 2 very wide chamfered and stopped beams, presumably of 1606. The front and rear brick walls contain a series of broad Gothick arched recesses, and on the N wall is a deep recess, probably a former chimney breast. The rear porch has a fine Minton tile geometrical floor pattern. In the rear wing is a richly detailed open-well oak staircase rising through both floors.

Listing NGR: SO8933632853

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 89336 32853

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 07:24:52.

End of official listing