This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MASONIC HALL, CARETAKER'S HOUSE AT REAR AND GARDEN WALLS AT LEFT AND REAR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MASONIC HALL, CARETAKER'S HOUSE AT REAR AND GARDEN WALLS AT LEFT AND REAR

List entry Number: 1025135

Location

MASONIC HALL, CARETAKER'S HOUSE AT REAR AND GARDEN WALLS AT LEFT AND REAR, 12, BRIDGELAND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bideford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Apr-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 375744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/30 (North side) 08/11/49 No.12 Masonic Hall, caretaker's house at rear and garden walls at left and rear (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGELAND STREET (North side) No.12)

GV II*

Part of a large house originally including No 11 (qv); now Masonic hall with caretaker's house at rear. 1692; front refaced and rear wing widened in C19. Solid rendered walls (probably brick underneath). Slate roofs; crested red ridge-tiles on front range. Rendered chimney at left end of ridge on front range; 2 more at rear. Plan: front range has through-passage at right-hand side; to left of it the staircase with a room beyond that; one room in rear wing with a range behind it, parallel to the street. There must have been at least 2 more rooms fronting the street (on the site of No 11) and it is quite possible that the house had a full courtyard plan like that at Nos 28 and 28A (qv); the rear range is not certainly original, but must date from at least the early or mid C18. 2 storeys, with garret at rear. 4-window front covered with rusticated render; raised band above ground storey. Moulded wooden eaves-cornice. Windows segmental-headed with moulded flush frames containing 6-paned sashes; sills supported by a small bracket at each end, the ground-storey sills with low decorated iron guards on top. Wide doorway flanked by plain-shafted Ionic columns supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze and modillioned cornice. Doorway itself is segmental-headed, but fitted into it is a square-headed moulded architrave and an 8-panelled door. In front of latter a low wooden dog- or child-gate with turned balusters; to left of doorcase an iron hook and ring, presumably for tying up dogs or horses. Rear wall of rear range (visible from Ropewalk) has segmental-headed, flush-framed windows containing 6 or 8-paned sashes; one in ground storey has early, thick, glazing-bars; modillioned eaves cornice. Left-hand garden wall, adjoining Lavington Chapel, is of old (probably late C17) red and yellow brick; rear wall fronting Ropewalk is similar, built on a high stone-rubble plinth. INTERIOR: at rear of through-passage a round arch with moulded imposts. Beyond it, to left, door to staircase; half-glazed with coloured glass, fanlight with Gothic glazing-bars. Open-well wooden staircase rising to second storey has closed, pulvino-moulded strings, stout turned balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps carrying ball-finials (the latter probably a later addition), broad flat moulded handrail. Ornate moulded ceiling with thick moulded ribs; round centre panel with guilloche decoration, flanked by 2 shaped panels, the whole enclosed in an oblong. Foliated boss in centre, modillioned cornice enriched with egg-and-dart round the wall-tops. Front and wing rooms in ground storey combined into a single dining-room. Front part has raised bolection-moulded panelling and foliated cornice; early C19 reeded door-frame with carved flowers in top corners. Second-storey rooms above similarly combined to form an imposing masonic temple with painted coved ceiling and columns. Rear section (in wing) has raised bolection-moulded architrave and moulded cornice. Front section has raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded panelling in early or mid C18 style. Front room over through-passage has part of a box-cornice, apparently cut off when the house was divided. Some of the panelling in the house is clearly C19 or early C20 imitation, but the bulk of the bolection-moulded panelling is almost certainly original. Rear range not inspected, but ground-storey window has early or mid C18 shutters with raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded panels. This is Bideford Bridge Trust property, built under a lease of 21.9.1693 to John Smith, merchant. A second lease of 20.5.1698 describes it as the house 'wherein the said John Smith now dwelleth and heretofore lately built by him'; it had a frontage of 80ft. By 1784, when it was called the Great House, it had already been divided into two houses, and by 1792 the eastern house (No 11) had been rebuilt. The freemasons have had their hall at No 12 since at least 1895. (Bideford Bridge Trust Survey: A1/10; Wilson's Bideford Almanack: 1895-: P.47).

Listing NGR: SS4539126851

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wilson, , Wilsons Bideford Almanack, (1895), 47
Other
Bideford Bridge Trust, Survey,

National Grid Reference: SS4536526825

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 12:48:53.

End of official listing