WORTH ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1025530
Date first listed:
11-May-1983
Statutory Address:
WORTH ABBEY, PADDOCKHURST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORTH ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:20:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
WORTH ABBEY, PADDOCKHURST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Mid Sussex (District Authority)
Parish:
Turners Hill
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31800 34215

Details

WORTH PADDOCKHURST ROAD 1. 5405 Worth Abbey TQ 33 SW 6/579 II

2. Roman Catholic School, the east front of the north-west wing, which was originally the stables, has the date 1865 on it. But the main portion of the north wing was built by George Smith between 1869 and 1872 and was one of the last works of Anthony Salvin. Tudor style. Three storeys. Ashlar. Modern tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. the main portion has 9 windows. Non-central tower of an extra storey and projecting porch beyond this with octagonal buttresses at the angles surmounted by figures of griffins. Projection of one window-bay at north end with gable over containing a cartouche. To the south of the tower the ground and first floors project and have windows with trefoil-headed lights on the ground floor and an arcaded loggia at the north end of the first floor. To the north is a service wing of 8 windows and 8 gables. The rain-water heads are dated 1921, and the 2 northernmost window-bays were probably added at that date. The south-west wing was added in 1883 and has that date on it and the initials "R.W." Two storeys. Its north front has 6 windows. Irregular projections of a chimney breast, low circular tower and ground floor portion at east end. The south front has 10 windows. Parapet. Gable at east end. Two projections, one splayed, one rectangular. The hall at the west end is of one storey and projects with a large bay and windows of 3 tiers of lights. This hall contains panelling and a large tiered Elizabethan-style chimney-piece. To the north-east of the south front is an L addition by Sir Aston Webb of 1897. Two storeys and attic. Five windows. Three dormers. Two bays of 2 tiers of 5 lights with trefoil heads. Projection at east end flanked by octagonal buttresses with copper ogee-domes and gablet between. At the back this wing is faced with imitation timbering. This wing also has good internal features including a stucco frieze by Walter Crane of the history of transport. Further east is a single-storeyed section, originally an orangery or conservatory. Seven round-headed windows flanked by half-columns with parapet over. Modern additions behind the south-east wing.

Listing NGR: TQ3184534467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
302883
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00594/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Daniel Eugenio. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].