CRABBET PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025535

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CRABBET PARK, TURNERS HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRABBET PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CRABBET PARK, TURNERS HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Worth

National Grid Reference: TQ 30666 37365

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORTH TURNERS HILL ROAD 1. 5405 Crabbet Park TQ 33 NW 2/534 27/9/62 II*

2. Now flats. Occupied by the Blunt family from the C18 to the C20. The house was rebuilt in its present form in 1873 in real neo-Queen Anne, but pre-Norman Shaw/Queen Anne, style and was designed by Lady Anne Blunt, the granddaughter of Byron, and her husband, Wilfred Scawen Blunt, the post, politician, traveller and breeder of Arab horses. It was occupied by them until their deaths in 1917 and 1922 respectively and after that by their daughter, Lady Wentworth. It was the scene of the famous Crabbet Club in the early years of the C20, of which all the leading politicians and other prominent people were members. It was also here that Wilfred Scawen Blunt, who was the first man to import and breed Arab horses into England, had his stud. The building is L-shaped. Red brick with stone window dressings, quoins, string- course, cornice and balustraded parapet. Two storeys. The entrance front faces north. Nine windows. The 3 centre window-bays project and are flanked by quoins with a pediment over containing a round window set in a stone surround like a star. Casement windows of 4 sections set in moulded stone architrave surrounds. Doorway in similar surround with curved pediment over and double door of 8 fielded panels set at the head of 8 steps with curving stuccoed balustrade. The east or garden front has 7 windows. the 3 centre ones project with pediment over containing a large lunette window and on the ground floor a large curved bay of 3 windows with balustrade over and 9 semi-circular steps leading up to the bay. Grade I for the architectural importance of the house in the development of C19 architecture and for its associations with Wilfred Scawen Blunt and his contemporaries.

Listing NGR: TQ3066637365

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302896

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing