This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CUCKFIELD PARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CUCKFIELD PARK

List entry Number: 1025541

Location

CUCKFIELD PARK, BRIGHTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cuckfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 302912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CUCKFIELD BRIGHTON ROAD TQ 22 SE 3/4 Cuckfield Park 10.9.51 GV II+ Mansion. c1574. E-plan house with some early C18 refurbishment, refronted and turned into 2 courtyard plan in 1859-51. Brick and stone, mainly refronted in cement render in Mid C19 with Horsham stone slab roof and clustered brick chimney stack. South East front: Late C16 refronted in Mid C19 in cement with incised lines. 2 storeys, basement and attics. Roof has Horsham stone slabs and 5 dormers with very elaborate pediments with wooden finials, pendants with shields below and deep cornices covered in lead sheeting. Eaves cornice and plinth. 7 bays and two ½ bays. C19 cross windows with pintle hinges. Ground floor windows have hood- mouldings. Central projecting 2 storey entrance porch with octagonal turrets and crenellations. 4 centre arched door with 2 stone steps. South West front: Refronted and part added in Mid C19. 2 storeys and basement cement rendered. 7 bays, including 2 projecting end and 1 projecting centre gable with octagonal finials and kneelers with full height 4-light canted bays. Cross-shaped casements with hood moulding to ground floor windows. Attached to left is a Mid C19 conserv- atory or orangery of one storey of sandstone with 4 sandstone pillars supporting 3 arches, now glazed, and one storey attached building of 1 bay and Horsham stone slab roof. North West front: Left hand part has end of Elizabethan brick range with infilling of C18 date. Brick mainly rendered except for extreme left end, 2 storeys, attic and basement. End gables of 1 window each, having stone coping with kneelers and octagonal finials and 16-pane sashes with wide glazing bars and cambered heads. 3 tall brick chimney stacks, the centre one twisted. Roof reveals gables of original Elizabethan building behind. Interior: Hall contains late C16 plank and muntin panelling with some inlay work towards the top and scroll-work frieze, a fine plaster ceiling with squares, quatrefoil motifs and pendants and a stone fireplace with oak carved overmantel with mutule frieze, strapwork motifs and console brackets. Morning Room has magnificent carved oak screen dated 1581. It has 6 Composite columns with grotesque animal masks above. Mutule frieze and terms supporting cornice. The top panel has 2 panels with lion rampant and the motto 'Guardez la Foy', 2 shields and central date panel in an ornamental surround with figures of Justice and angels. The 3 panels between the columns have pilasters and round-headed doors have been inserted in the original entries. The room is panelled throughout with plank and muntin panelling and has a late C16 stone fire- place with slender spandrels and oak overmantel with pilasters, round-headed arches and raised diamond motif friezes with marquetry inlay. Music Room has C19 decorative plaster ceiling imitating the late C16 Hall ceiling and a deep cornice with Tudor roses and large birds, probably mythical. Dining Room has a magnificent stone fireplace dated 1574 with the initials H B (for Henry Bowyer) & H E. It bears the designs of musical instruments, snakes on shaft, snails and floral swags. Old cast-iron fireback. Oak overmantel with 2 large square panels with marquetry inlay and shields with motto 'Gardez la Foy'. Strapwork plaster ceilings, probably a C17 copy. Oak plank and muntin panelling with mutule frieze at top. Main Staircase is a late C16 oak open well staircase with large moulded balusters, moulded string and elaborate knops, massive wooden pendants below the flights and panelling to dado height. There are 3 flights of 5 treads to each floor. At the bottom of the staircase is a C16 archway with plank door. Windows to the staircase have heraldic stained glass and old glass with diamond leaded cases. The top floor has a series of original oak plank doors. First floor has a series of panelled rooms leading off the main staircase. First a panelled lobby with pilasters and strapwork design, leading onto a panelled room with overmantel dated 1579 and initials 'H B'. This has 2 tiers of columns, the lower Ionic, the upper Corinthian, with central shield. Panelling is of strapwork type with elaborate panelled frieze, separated by console brackets and corner pilasters. C19 stone fireplace with oak design in spandrels lined with old Delft tiles. A panelled china cupboard with L-hinges leads off, followed by a panelled bedroom with plank and muntin panelling, pilastered over- mantel with mutule frieze and C19 stone fireplace with old Delft tiles. The house was the model for Harrison Ainsworth's novel 'Rookwood' though the location was Yorkshire in the novel. (See Country Life 15 March 1919, Pevsner Buildings of England, Sussex. p478 and Victoria County History Vol (VII p 149-151).

Listing NGR: TQ2975524416

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 478
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940), 149-151
'Country Life' in 15 March, (1919)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29755 24416

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 12:55:48.

End of official listing