This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NYMANS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NYMANS

List entry Number: 1025612

Location

NYMANS, STAPLEFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Slaugham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 302776

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SLAUGHAM STAPLEFIELD ROAD 1. 5405 Handcross Nymans TQ 22 NE 10/215 29.9.81 II

2. There was a medieval house on this site. Some portions of this, notably the C15 hall, survive inside the present building. But that house was largely rebuilt in 1839. Of this rebuilding there survives the north or service wing. This is of 2 storeys and 4 windows. Stuccoed. Slate roof. Sash windows on first floor with glazing bars. Pointed casement windows and pointed doorway on ground floor. The main or south wing was rebuilt by the Messel family in 1890 and again in 1925-30. The second rebuilding was in Cotswold Manor House style. Architect Sir Walter Tapper. A fire occurred in 1947 which burned out the south-west wing. The house was left to the National Trust by Colonel Messel in 1954. The main or south front is E-shaped with projections of unequal length. Two storeys and attic. Four windows. Stone Horsham slab roof. Casement windows. Three gabled projections of unequal length. The east and longest one is still a burned out roofless shell.

Listing NGR: TQ2659729353

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

National Grid Reference: TQ 26597 29353

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 09:47:18.

End of official listing