EAST MASCALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1025621
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Feb-2011
Statutory Address:
EAST MASCALLS, EAST MASCALLS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST MASCALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:12:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
EAST MASCALLS, EAST MASCALLS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Mid Sussex (District Authority)
Parish:
Lindfield Rural
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36608 25673

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/02/2012

1144/12/327 28-OCT-57

LINDFIELD RURAL EAST MASCALLS LANE EAST MASCALLS (Formerly listed as: EAST MASCALLS ROAD EAST MASCALLS)

II*

A timber-framed house with plaster infilling, the first floor having panels of ornamental timbering, built in 1578 and restored and enlarged in the C19.

The original portion is of two storeys and five bays. The projecting porch has a moulded lintel above the arch, oversailing sides on a bressumer and two diamond panels with cartouches featuring the initials of the builder, NN with the date 1578 and the restorer, WS with the date 1896. Above is an original window with wooden mullions and transoms. The overhanging gable has carved bargeboards and pendant and a tiny attic window. The other windows are modern casements. The west front has two gables, restored and tile-hung in 1896. The west wing was rebuilt to the north, in a sympathetic style, in 1937. All is under a Horsham slab roof.

The interior was not inspected.

HISTORY The original stone house on this site was built for the Mascalls family in the C15. This property passed to Ursula Middleton in 1550 who sold it to William Newton of Southover Priory, Lewes, formerly from Cheshire, whose son, Nicholas re-built an E shaped timber framed property in 1578. The property passed by inheritance into the Noyes' family in 1741 but was a ruin by 1870. It was restored by William Sturdy in 1896. The modern oak framed west wing was added to the north elevation in imitation of the original in 1937 by the then owner AR McNaught.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION East Mascalls is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reason: * Architectural Interest: A good example of a C16 house, with high levels of survival of original fabric.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
302691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13538/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].