This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROADHURST MANOR INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS TO EAST AND WEST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROADHURST MANOR INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS TO EAST AND WEST

List entry Number: 1025683

Location

BROADHURST MANOR INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS TO EAST AND WEST, BROADHURST MANOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horsted Keynes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 302537

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORSTED KEYNES

TQ 33 SE BROADHURST MANOR ROAD 1144/7/528 Broadhurst Manor including attached wa 28-OCT-57 lls to east and west (Formerly listed as: BROADHURST MANOR ROAD Broadhurst Manor)

GV II*



Large house. Late C16, the remaining part of a mansion the rest of which was demolished circa 1780, restored and greatly enlarged in 1934. There was some re-fenestration in the late C17 and some late C19 and early C20 internal fittings and refenestration. The southern part is the original building with a 1930s matching wing in similar style and building materials added to the north. West front timberframed with plastered infill, south front of red brick with grey headers, northern and southern gable of east front tile-hung and remainder of the southern front red brick with stone dressings. The roof is entirely hung with Horsham stone slabs except for the south facing slope which is tiled and there are six tall clustered brick chimneystacks. Plan is now U-shaped with original part of the building an L-shape. ENTRANCE FRONT: North side of south wing is of box-framed timberframing with plastered infill. Two storeys and attics with one hipped dormer and irregular C19 casements. Deep brick plinth. Early C20 gabled wood and brick porch to right with pendant and C20 plank door. Attached to north wall is a brick wall with two-centred early C20 stone archway dated 1926 with the initials JC. Two storey timber framed c1934 extension in angle of west face of entrance front. West front then has a further early C20 leanto built on to original part of the building with two hipped dormers. In the centre of the entrance front is a timberframed section of one bay of two storeys and attics which was erected in 1934 but reusing old timbers, possibly from a gatehouse. This has bargeboards and pendant, coved cornice above first floor, oriel window, box frame to first floor and close-studding to ground floor. The north wing is of the 1930s, L-shaped in matching building materials to the origiinal part of the house, to the right timberframed with plastered infill of one storey and attics with two hipped dormers and to left a projecting wing of one bay of red brick with stone dressings to ground floor and tile-hung above. SOUTH FRONT: Two storeys and attics of red brick with grey headers and incorporates three massive external chimneystacks built of stone with brick tops, the central one having two small mullioned windows with leaded lights to the principal bedroom on the first floor. Late C17 leaded light casements with cambered brick heads, brick band, stone plinth and C19 lead rainwaterhead. EAST FRONT. Southern part in original building of three storeys and attics in red brick with stone dressings except for upper part of southern gable which is tile-hung. Lower floor windows are C17 stone mullioned windows, the other windows original mullioned windows re-cut. Attached wall to south west corner has C17 English bond brickwork and C19 two-centred stone arch with blank panels. Northern part is 1930s wing comprising central gable with oriel window and arched entrance flanked by sidelights and right side wing of two storeys and attics in red brick with stone dressings, three windows and massive central external stone chimneystack. INTERIOR: Fine late C16 oak main staircase from cellar to attics, with square balusters, square newel post and carved knop to cellar and top floor, and two very rare wooden siege doors at the top. Exposed framing with carpenters' marks. Brick cellar with slate shelves. Dining Room has 1930s linenfold panelling. Library has late C19 panelling, ceiling with chamfered floor joists and overmantel with Jacobean carving in C17 style. Herb Room has C19 stone fireplace and cupboard. Room adjoining Herb Room has four-centred late C16 fireplace with Tudor roses in the spandrels, overmantel with three round-headed arches, fluted pilasters and mutule frieze. Ballroom has stone fireplace and panelling of 1930s date. First floor has exposed framing with carpenters' marks. Principal bedroom has stone late C16 fireplace some C17 panelling, C19 panelling and a cupboard lined with old Delft tiles. Alcove behind fireplace with windows could perhaps have been used as a powder closet. Dressing Room off has C19 panelling and cupboard. Guest bedroom approached up a separate flight of stairs has early C20 brick fireplace with wooden bressumer and two plank doors with large hinges and latches. HISTORY: Manor belonged to Michelborne family until 1656 when it was sold to Edward Lightmaker the elder, citizen and brewer of London. His will of 1658 bequeathed among other items "my iron furnace called Horsted Ffurnace, and the watermill near unto the same adjoyning, to my wife Saphirah". Saphirah was sister to Robert Leighton, Archbishop of Glasgow, who lived with her in Broadhurst Manor on his retirement from 1674 to 1684. Alterations and extensions to the house in the 1920s and 1930s were carried out by the Clark family.



Listing NGR: TQ3876730044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38767 30044

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 05:12:52.

End of official listing