UPPARK (NATIONAL TRUST)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1025979

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: UPPARK (NATIONAL TRUST), COMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPARK (NATIONAL TRUST)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:25:02.

Location

Statutory Address: UPPARK (NATIONAL TRUST), COMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Harting

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 77981 17583

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 71 NE, 15/1

HARTING, COMPTON ROAD, Uppark (National Trust)

(Formerly listed as: Up Park)

18.06.59

I

So called originally to distinguish the house from Down Park in the same Parish, long since demolished. The present house was built about 1689 by Ford Lord Grey of Warke who was created Earl of Tankerville in 1701, and its design is attributed to William Talman. It is half-H shaped, the main front facing south. 2 storeys attic and basement. 9 windows and 4 dormers with segmental heads. Red brick. Stone stringcourse. Wooden enriched modillion eaves cornice. Hipped slate roof. The 3 centre window bays project slightly with a pediment over containing the arms of the Fetherstonhaugh family in the tympanum. Long and short stone quoins flank this projection and the wings. The windows are in stone architrave surrounds with glazing bars missing, the centre first floor windows flanked by carved swags. Central doorway at the head of wide curved steps with iron handrail, the doorway having engaged Corinthian columns, and enriched tympanum beneath the entablature and a curved scroll pediment. The east and west fronts have 7 windows and 5 dormers each. The central doorway in the east front was the original main entrance. The present main entrance is on the north. Here the wings of the original half-H are hidden and joined by a colonnade added by Humphry Repton about 1810 for Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh with a corridor behind this leading to the Staircase Hall. The house was sold by the third Earl of Tankerville in 1747 to Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh Bt who was responsible for the insertion of most of the interior decoration of the building. This dates from about 1770 and has hardly been altered in any respect since, most of the rooms having never even been repainted and even still retaining their original curtains. This interior was possibly designed by Henry Keene. The staircase, however, dates from the construction of the house in 1689. The Dining room was altered by Humphry Repton about 1810 for Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh's son, Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh Bt. Emma Hart, afterwards Lady Hamilton, lived with Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh here for a short period in the early part of her career before her association with Charles Greville. The Prince Regent, Edward Gibbon and others visited the house during Sir Harry's ownership (1774-1846). H G Wells spent part of his boyhood in the house when his mother was housekeeper to Miss Frances Fetherstonhaugh, nee Bullock, at the end of the C19.

Listing NGR: SU7798017584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 301802

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

End of official listing