This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEST DEAN COLLEGE WEST DEAN PARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST DEAN COLLEGE WEST DEAN PARK

List entry Number: 1026116

Location

WEST DEAN COLLEGE, CHICHESTER ROAD
WEST DEAN PARK, CHICHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Dean

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 301419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST DEAN CHICHESTER ROAD SU 8612-8712 (south side)

33/216 West Dean Park 19.7.85 (now West Dean College)

- II*

In 1804 James Wyatt built a house here for Lord Selsey on the site of an older building. This was greatly enlarged by Sir Ernest George and Harold Peto for it D James in 1893. Of Wyatt's building the facade of the west wing, to the left of the main entrance and of the porte cochere, survives more or less intact. This has 2 storeys and 5 windows, then a tower of 3 storeys and one window, and then one more window bay of 2 storeys. It is built of knapped flints with a castellated parapet over it. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. The original pointed window and gable over the front door has been replaced by a tower. To the east of this was a corridor on the ground floor only leading to another tower of 2 storeys with sash win- dows having pointed heads. This has been filled in by the east wing built in 1893 but the pointed sash windows of the tower survive, though this is now of 3 storeys instead of two. Attached to it behind is a round turret con- taining a circular staircase. The service wing behind also dates from Wyatt's time. Almost the whole of the interior was remodelled in 1893 in the most sumptous style of that period though partly in imitation of French eighteenth century decoration. But some of the chimney pieces of 1804 sur- vive in one or two of the less important rooms. There is also a subsidiary staircase of this period. King Edward VII stayed here frequently with Mr & Mrs William James, who were great friends of his.

Listing NGR: SU8616912575

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

National Grid Reference: SU 86169 12575

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:38:51.

End of official listing