FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1026613
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Sep-2010
Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026613.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:03:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Chichester
National Grid Reference:
SU 85892 04868

Details

CHICHESTER

593/3/131A WEST STREET 05-JUL-50 (North side) FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT (Formerly listed as: WEST STREET CHURCH OF ST PETER THE GREAT)

GV II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: 1848-52 by R C Carpenter.

MATERIALS: Coursed ashlar masonry. Red clay tiled roofs except for the N aisle which is slated.

PLAN: Four-bay nave and N and S aisles, two-bay chancel with S aisle, W narthex, NE vestry.

EXTERIOR: The S side fronting West Street consists of the S aisle, with the four bays demarcated by buttresses and each with a three-light curvilinear window (all with the same design); a two-bay chancel aisle, unbuttressed and with two two-light windows, again with curvilinear tracery (same design as one another), and beneath these two doorways; a W narthex under a hipped roof and with a Decorated style doorway with foliage detail in the hollow of the head and polygonal responds. The nave/chancel and S aisle/S chapel are under their own gabled roofs. The E windows of the church have rich curvilinear tracery, the chancel aisle having four lights and the chancel five. There are no parapets to the principal components of the building although there are plain ones to the narthex and vestry. There is no clerestory.

INTERIOR: The aisle arcades are well-proportioned with four filleted shafts to each pier, moulded capitals and moulded arches. The tall chancel arch is in a similar style and the chancel is divided from the aisle by a two-bay arcade. The nave has a good open roof of eight closely-spaced arch-braced trusses with two tiers of wind braces; there are similar roofs to the aisles and S chapel. In the chancel there is a boarded tunnel vault. The interior has been subdivided into different areas using altered floor levels and low screens

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The building, having been converted to a public house, has lost its ecclesiastical fittings

HISTORY: The church, built in 1848-52, was designed by Richard Cromwell Carpenter (1812-55), one of the most important church architects in the early Victorian years. He was one of the leaders in the adoption of archaeologically faithful Gothic architecture, as promoted by A W N Pugin and the influential Cambridge Camden Society. He was, with William Butterfield, one of that society's most favoured architects. He died young and his practice was taken over by William Slater (1818 or '19-72).

The building is a beautifully designed essay in early C14 Gothic. Its refined lines and details are of the kind that would resurface with the architecture of G F Bodley and his followers twenty years later and be typical of the late Gothic Revival. The church suffered bomb damage in WW2

SOURCES: Nairn, I and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Sussex (1965), 171, p 414 Brodie, A et al., Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, vol 1 (2001), 336.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Former Church of St Peter the Great, West Street, Chichester is designated at Grade II the following principal reason: * It is a very good example of early Victorian church-building in an archaeological faithful style, designed by a noted architect of the day. * The architectural quality, especially externally, is intact, its conversion to a pub notwithstanding.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
300276
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03530/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Heather A Coulson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].