SEDGWICK PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1026851
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
SEDGWICK PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEDGWICK PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1026851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 13:49:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEDGWICK PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Horsham (District Authority)
Parish:
Nuthurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18371 26687

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

TQ 12 NE NUTHURST -

12/401 Sedgwick Park

II

Large house. Service wing possibly dates from 1608 much altered with possible incorporation of C18 house to east in the later additions built for the Henderson family in 1886 with Tower addition of 1904. Exterior appearance almost entirely late C19 in Arts and Crafts style. Built of rubble and ashlar dressings. Horsham stone slab roof, stone chimneystacks. Roughly segmental in plan facing south to make maximum use of sunlight in principal rooms. 2 storeys and attics with stone mullioned windows. North front has projecting gabled porch with pediment and Horsham stone slab fishscale tiles. 1st floor has 4 light mullioned window with crest and shield with motto "DEUS NOBISCUM QUIS CONTRA" (the arms of William Henry Abbey, High Sheriff of Sussex in 1935) Round-headed doorcase with keystone, studded door and fine bronze doorknocker with male mask spewing forth 2 cupids. To the west of this is a 2 storey canted bay with mullioned windows. To the east of the porch is a tall hall window 4 tiers high and 3 lights across. Further east is a series of gables and dormer windows with modified Venetian windows. Narrow east front with external chimney stack and blocked in oculus. South or garden front has 8 windows including 3 large projecting pedimented gables 1 with Venetian window, another with 5 light oriel and 5 dormers. Mullioned windows to 1st floor and mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor. Central recessed round headed arched doorcase. Attached to west end is a 3 storey square tower dated 1904 in matching materials with pyramidal roof with copper and wooden cupula with iron weathervane. 5 light mullioned window to upper floor and 3 round-headed arches to ground floor with 1 storey garden room leading off to south. Attached to west is service wing which probably incorporates an original building of 1608 though the appearance is late C19. 2 storeys pebble dashed with hipped slate roof with 5 late C19 windows and 5 panelled fielded door to ground floor. Attached to the east end of the building is a red brick garden wall in English bond brickwork which incorporates a five late C19 wrought iron gateway with open pediment fanlight and scrollwork. Interior to east part of house has a staircase hall with very fine reused early C18 staircase with 2 scrolled balusters to each tread scrolled tread ends and C19 fluted column newel. Late C19 stone baronial style fireplace and panelling. South east ground floor room has late C19 panelling and carved wooden fireplace in C18 style. An adjoining room has late C19 panelling with fluted pilasters, a cornice of swags and cherubs over the fireplace and a cornice of vine leaves to the rest of the room. An adjoining room has a plaster ceiling with Tudor roses. The room behind the tower has C19 panelling and a marble fireplace with central freize and cornice, Adam style figures and reeded pilasters. An ancient site with remains of a castle in the grounds. Under the Hendersons there was a celebrated garden (See 2 Country Life articles June 1942 by Christopher Hussey).

Listing NGR: TQ1837126687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
299751
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in June, (1942)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13462/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].