WISTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1027156

Date first listed: 09-May-1980

Statutory Address: WISTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WISTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027156 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 23:53:11.

Location

Statutory Address: WISTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham (District Authority)

Parish: Wiston

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ 15499 12416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTON WISTON PARK 1. 5404 Wiston House TQ 11 SE 13/339

I

2. Now also known as Wilton Park European Discussion Centre. Original building was a very large mansion of irregular plan built about 1576 by Sir Thomas Shirley the elder, the father of the 3 brothers who are famous for their travels and ... adventures in Persia and the east. Much of this house was demolished between 1780 and 1830, and the only portion now remaining is on the entrance front facing east. This is E-shaped. Ashlar. Two storeys. The centre portion has 5 windows and a 2 storey porch in middle. The ground floor of this is flanked by twin Doric pilasters and has a triglyph frieze above and a round-heade arch. The storey above the doorway is flanked by twin Ionic pilasters and has a window of 2 tiers of 5 lights. It is surmounted by a cornice and pediment with a female figure at the apex of the Pediment. On each side of the porch are 2 tall windows of 4 tiers of lights, the outer ones being bays containing 8 lights in each tier, the inner ones being flush windows of 6 lights in each tier. Cornice above ground floor. The first floor has 4 windows of 2 tiers of 4 lights each, one being blocked, with cornices over them. Cornice and parapet over the whole of the centre portion, flanked by large voluted consoles. The projecting wings have a slightly lower elevation than the centre, though also of 2 storeys. Each has 3 windows facing inwards of 2 tiers of 5 lights each with cornices over. Cornice and parapet over the inner sides of the wings. Their ends have one bay window each on both floors containing 2 tiers of 8 lights each with cornice over and above this a shaped gabled with finials flanking these and at the apex of each. All the windows have stone mullions and transoms and diamond-shaped or small square leaded panes. James Gibbs caried out some work in the house but nothing of this survives (with the possible exception of som of the plaster work in the Great Hall). The house was rebuilt and greatly enlarged by Edward Blore at the beginning of the C19 and the south, west and north fronts date from this period. The house is now the shape of 3 Ls. The south or garden front has 2 storeys and attic, 8 windows, 5 projecting bays, 3 shaped gables and 2 dormers of shaped gable pattern between the main gables. Conservatory dating from the early Cl9 at the end of this wing. The west fron has 2 storeys, 6 windows and 4 bays. Pierced parapet over with finials aboe the bays and a shaped gable to one. On the north wall of the west wing is a chimney-piece from the part of the C16 house that was demolished. This has an elaborate carved overmantel comprising 6 small figures in compartments with a cartouche in the centre, frieze, panel and finial over. The interior of the house dates mostly from Blore's rebuilding but the dining-room has panelling dated 1576. Photographs in the National Building Record. Article in Country Life Vol 25, page 306.

Listing NGR: TQ1549912416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 299045

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 25, (), 306

End of official listing