HOTHAM PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1027745

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1976

Statutory Address: HOTHAM PARK HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOTHAM PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027745 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 04:04:14.

Location

Statutory Address: HOTHAM PARK HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Bognor Regis

National Grid Reference: SZ 94049 99410

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2013

SZ 9499 18/14 5401 4.8.71

HIGH STREET (North Side) Hotham Park House

(Formerly listed as Hotham House)

II*

This house was originally called Chapel House, and was built in 1793 by Sir Richard Hotham, the founder of Bognor, as his own residence. The Chapel from which it took its name was used as a Chapel of Ease until St John's Chapel was built in 1882, and was pulled down later in the century. The house was then called Bersted Lodge and subsequently Hotham Lodge. 2 storeys and semi-basement. 10 windows. Stuccoed. Cornice and parapet. 2 large bays of 3 windows each on both floors with one window on the outer side of them and 2 between. The bays are linked on the ground floor by an arcaded verandah raised above the ground level with an iron railing between the columns and approach at each end by a curved flight of steps with handrail, (that of the south flight broken off). Above the verandah is an iron balcony with hood supported on trellis columns. Moulded frieze and dentilled cornice between the verandah and the balcony. On the north side of the north bay is a similar arcaded verandah approached by a curved flight of steps from the north front and iron balcony over without hood. On the south side of the south bay is a terrace with iron railing (formerly having a ground floor room built out with frieze, cornice and balcony without hood over, and one large window with semi-circular head). The south front has a curved bay containing 3 windows. At the north-west corner of the house is a tower built in 4 sections, each set back within the lower. Clock face on the north and south sides of the top section and cupola containing a bell over supported on 8 columns with weather vane surmounting it. Interior has moulded cornices to the ceilings and architraves to the doors, mantelpieces on columns or with Grecian decoration.



Listing NGR: SZ9404999410

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297588

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing