This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1027921

Location

TOWN HALL, MALTRAVERS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Arundel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 297226

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5401 MALTRAVERS STREET (South Side) ----------------- Town Hall TQ 0107 1/24A 5.6.69.

II

2. 1833-8. The 12th Duke of Norfolk agreed to build a new Town Hall at his own expense in 1833 [Town Hall Deeds] in return for the gift from the Town of the north part of High Street, which he wished to enclose within the Castle Grounds. The Town Hall was probably complete by 21st October 1836, when the Corporation discussed its conveyance to the Town. It was certainly complete by 29th March 1838 when the Paving Commissioners met there for the first time [Corporation Archives]. Architect probably Robert Abraham, who was employed by the Duke of Norfolk on, as yet, unspecified work in Arundel during the 1830's [Colvin. Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, p 27]. He was definitely the architect of the Congregational Church (1836-8), which is very close to the Town Hall in style [Union Church Archives]. Knapped flint with galleting. Pulborough stone dressings and ground floor arcade. Yellow brick dressings at sides and south (rear) elevation. Red and grey brick foundations and basement. 2 storeys, basement, and towers. End bays of north elevation break forward and are continued upwards as towers. Triple arched loggia on ground floor between these bays, crowned by parapet. Arches and window embrasures are semi-circular, with roll mouldings and cushion capitals. 3 recessed oblong panels above 1st floor windows. Statue of swallow on parapet of south elevation. Police cells in basement.

Listing NGR: TQ0177207142

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 27

National Grid Reference: TQ 01773 07146

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:41:34.

End of official listing