Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 01:16:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Sussex
Arun (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
TQ 01918 07254


TQ 0107 1/1

Arundel Castle


I Lower part of gatehouse possibly late C11, built for Roger de Montgomery, who was granted Arundel by William the Conqueror. Middle stage of gatehouse, keep, and cellars under south-east range appear (stylis- tically) to date from late C12; possibly from tenure of Earl William de Albini. Barbican, upper stage of gatehouse, north-west buttress, and well tower to keep, appear (stylistically) to date from late C13, possibly from time of Richard, 1st Earl of Arundel, who received the grant of a fair to help repair the castle [A Tipping: English Homes, I). Curtain and towers round north end also medieval, but of uncertain date, and restored in late C19 [photograph showing unrestored condition in possession of Arundel Society]. North-east range may have been rebuilt in early C16 [painting in Arundel Castle], possibly by William, 11th Earl of Arundel [Tipping: op.cit.]. The general form of this range is the same as in the early C16. James Gibbs supplied plans for the 8th Duke of Norfolk (who died in 1732) [Gibbs MSS]. This may have been for the south-east range [plan before late C18 rebuilding illustrated in Dallaway "History of Western Sussex": 1836]. North-east, south-east and south-west ranges rebuilt by 11th Duke (succeeded in 1786, died in 1815), keeping to existing outline of buildings [cf. Hollar's view of Arundel, c.1640], Architect initially Francis Hiorn, who died in 1789. Then James Teasdale, otherwise unknown, who signed the plans for the rebuilding illustrated in Dallaway [op.cit.]. (A John Teasdale the Elder, of Greystoke, Cumberland, supplied sculpture for the 11th Duke from 1790 onwards [Gunnis: Dictionary of British Sculptors]). Of this rebuilding only the Library, completed in 1801 [Clifford Musgrave: Arundel Castle], survives. The campaign was completed by 5th June 1815, when the Baron's Hall was first used [Dallaway: op.cit.]. Chapel, Baron's Hall, remainder of south-west range, all of south-east range apart from cellar, and all of north-east range above, and north of the library, rebuilt 1890-1903. Architect Charles Alban Buckler. This rebuilding was largely a thorough- going purge of all the details, substituting C13 ones for Teasdale's C15 ones.

Listing NGR: TQ0191807256


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dallaway, J, History of the Western Division of Sussex, (1815)
Dallaway, J, History of the Western Division of Sussex, (1815)
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/07984/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].